Laptop is 13 1/2 months old and appears dead. Will not turn on with or without power supply, whether battery is in or not. Voltmeter on power supply shows 19.78V DC output so it is functioning. No lights of any kind light up on laptop when power supply plugged in. All connections have been checked and re-checked. Any ideas? Have there been any service bulletins issued by Gateway? Could this have the same bad (bulging) capacitors that have found their way into electronics the past two years? Thanks.
-Carl

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

im not great with fixing laptops, but i tought near 20 volts is too much,
if so you got some serious problems.

im not great with fixing laptops, but i tought near 20 volts is too much,
if so you got some serious problems.

Thanks for the input. It appears that this is within the normal limits for this laptop but will keep you thought in mind. Probably will need to take it to a shop and pay the big bucks. Have a great week.
-Carl

Sounds like you AC connection at the plug has come undone. This is common on laptops. I am not sure about gateways, but on most other brands this connection is sauder to the motherboard. You could try to resauder, but this works about 25% of the time. You will probably have to replace the MOBO.

Sounds like you AC connection at the plug has come undone. This is common on laptops. I am not sure about gateways, but on most other brands this connection is sauder to the motherboard. You could try to resauder, but this works about 25% of the time. You will probably have to replace the MOBO.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is something I had not considered and makes sense. I have no problems with pulling out the soldering iron and melting some solder. Will pull the cover off and plug in the iron.
-Carl

I have a Gateway MX???? that just died. Same issue, no lights, no power button, completely and utterly dead. I purchased a new power supply...no luck. It will not start, with the battery, without the battery, or with the power supplly. The computer died suddently at the Windows (Vista) boot screen and appears to be fried.

I have the same issue it turns out that the moterboard is cracked and I will have to replace it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.