HI, the hard drive on my IBM thinkpad was very noisy. Now it doesn't seem to be working. When I try to boot up I get the IBM screen but nothing past that. Eventually I get a black screen with a small square then a lock then xxx (three x's) and then a hand in a circle with a slash through it (like those signs no this no that). Does anyone know what this is telling me?
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If the harddrive is failing then that would not let your pc to beet up cos obviously the files necessary for booting up the system would not be read or accessed by the system. Can you try to boot up with a different hard drive? see if you can. If u are able to then you know the hard drive is crashed.

Raj

get a black screen with a small square then a lock then xxx (three x's) and then a hand in a circle with a slash through

that means someone has put a password on the hard disk or motherboard, get it wrong 3 times and you will need a new motherboard and disk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.