Hello everyone! im stumped with a problem on a laptop i bought recently. its a gateway md # w340ui it will power up and i get the logo screen with bios options and boot menu and then i get a blinking cursor and thats all HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

hey there
can you be more specific,especially what was the last actions before the problem ac cured.

it worked when i bought it but the battery went dead so i went to the guy i bought it from and he gave me a car charger which had the wrong voltage the laptop is 19 volts and the charger he gave me was 17. it charged the battery to about 27% and i turned it on and began to use it the battery went dead again and the machine never worked again

have you tried booting in safe mode to do a system restore.if not do so and do a system restore to a known good date

pending your reply

Why would you use the car charger, don't you have noral charger for the laptop?

Also as Sittas mentioned try booting up in the safe mode and do system restore. You might be able to get somewhere unless the problem is hardware related.

Raj

i cant get past the logo screen, when i turn it on it goes to the logo screen and then goes blank with a blinking cursor in the left hand corner. i have replaced the hard drive and also the cd drive because in the bios it wasnt recognizing them and now it does but still nothing is there a way to the safe mode via the bios? thank you all for your help i hope we can get this figured out!

i have replaced the hard drive

so the reason its blinking is because the OS isnt installed.....

I was under impression that your battery wa dead and was not charging up. Why did you have to change the hard drive? Well never mind now that you have changed it you will have to install a new OS obviously as the new hard drive wont have anything on it.

Raj

Hey there
Do what the previous posters recommended.

You didn't mention that for some reason you had to buy a new Hard Drive(I hope there is a reason).If not whenever you troubleshoot,first change out parts with known good ones before buying a part for your machine.
....Then again....everyone makes mistakes Raj....;-)

if you all will re-read my post i told you that the computer would not recognize the hard drive and after i replaced it (with a known good one not a new one smart___)the computer recognized it. i also tried to install a os and the disk drive will not boot up to start the set up process if i could get it to do anything at all i would be able to fix it but ..... ive tried everything i know how to do im stumped mabye the hard drive isnt good like i was made to believe? the battery was dead but i got the right charger and that problem was solved its what happened before it quit working when the battery went dead that was the last time it worked.

Right so your battery is sorted, now even after changing the hard drive and cd drive you still not able to install a new OS on it, right? Am i on the right path this time?

Now the problem is that your cd drive is not running the OS cd to start the installation, correct?

Raj

OK understood.If the post detects and displays the Hard Drive then it should atleast handle the installation of the OS.
maby you did try the following for your machine to detect it if not do so:
-in BIOS go to the detection to see if you can detect it from there
-physically unplug and plug it back in
!Is there atleast power on the drive when you open it
??????

Thats what i doubt now that there is power to the drive but still is unable to run the setup to install new OS. And that is after he/she has swapped the cd drive as well.

Raj

if you all will re-read my post i told you that the computer would not recognize the hard drive and after i replaced it (with a known good one not a new one smart___)the computer recognized it. i also tried to install a os and the disk drive will not boot up to start the set up process if i could get it to do anything at all i would be able to fix it but ..... ive tried everything i know how to do im stumped mabye the hard drive isnt good like i was made to believe? the battery was dead but i got the right charger and that problem was solved its what happened before it quit working when the battery went dead that was the last time it worked.

heres what you can do since windows doesn't detect it:
-Have a bootible disk(stiffy or memory stick)-find a bootdisk(files) http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
-make your first boot setting drive (a:)(for floppy)/usb
After the changes restart your machine,it will boot from the bootable device(and not the hard drive)
--the process will detect all hardware including cd/dvd drive--
-after completion it will stop @ a:/
Insert your OS disk in your cd/dvd drive
-@ a:/ type dir
-here you will see the cd/dvd drive letter eg d:/
-Type the drive letter
-now it will open the directory of your OS on the disk
-Look for the executable file in the directory on the drive eg setup.exe
note:the extension must be exe
-----------Good Luck--------------
If anything is unclear feel free to ask-should work

-

i will try this process i just now bought a memory stick, i will let all of you know the results and thanks alot for all of your generous imput to my problem!

Hey everyone, i have a gateway model W340UI, when my power cord in plugged in, my laptop funtions fully, but...... the battery will not under any length of time charge. i dont get a chargeing light either. i still have the power light however. what is my problem.

thanx, zac.

the battery ma be dead, is it old?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.