OK, over the last 2 months, I have been trying to solve the problem that causes all my videogames to randomly freeze during gameplay (no other time like cut scene movies or something) When it freezes, the audio usually loops and skips like a scratched CD, and I am forced to hit the computers reset button. I dont get black screens or blue screens or error messages, the image of the game just freezes.
First of all, my computer specs,
Pentium D 3.0
XFX nforce 680i LT SLI
EVGA Geforce 8800 GT superclocked
2 gigs of corsair DDR2 800
ATX 500 watt power supply
80 sata2 hard drive

I recently got a evga geforce 8800 GT superclocked edition. The problems started around this time, I tried many things from reinstalling windows and videogames and drivers, to using driver cleaners, ntune to increase the fan speed, replace directx, memtest etc etc but nothing is working. I took out the 8800 gt vid card and swapped back to my old XFX 8500 GT (its real bad, some kinda cheap model that doesnt even have a fan on it that I got ripped off on, came with the computer) crappy card though it may be, when I put it in my videogame freezing problem goes away (games look crappy though cause, well the card sucks, at least does not freeze) I have used ntune to check temperatures, everything is in the proper ranges and not overheating, even so I used ntune to crank the vid card fan to 100% to make it even cooler. but it didnt help, games still freeze.

I should also mention this is the first videocard that requires a direct link to the power supply, someone once said maybe I hooked it up wrong, but I dont see how, its quite straight forward, plug 6 pin into vid card and 4 pin into power supply. I also tried hooking it up in different ways since I have some different cords. for example my new vid card came with this adaptor that is a 6 pin that has two 4 pin connectors that come out of it. I tried using that, anyways no matter how I hook it to the power supply games still freeze. I have ran all of this threw the EVGA forums but we cant really find the solution. though there is a few things I have yet to try.
1. Take my new vid card and find another computer I can try it in.. that wont be easy
2. Maybe replace my power supply, it seems to meet the specs I require for this kind of vid card but its a possibility.
3. Just a random guess, maybe my processor isnt enough for this vid card, it seems unlikely but maybe a possibility
4. send vid card back to company for replacement, havent done this yet becuase I cant find my invoice

I'm sorry if I leave any info out about my troubleshooting and things I've tried, there was alot to remember in my history of trying to fix this problem. If anyone can offer so help or ideas on how to fix this problem I will LOVE YOU lol.. I have had this problem for so long and its the first real computer problem I have not been able to solve on my own with like say new drivers, or a complete reinstall and format of the hardrive

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi there
strong possibily is PSU so id suggest getting one for a test.also according to the graphic card specs have you checked the PSU req. by the graphic card.your ram looks fine but it all comes down to the specs of the card.so do that and drop me a post

Hi there
strong possibily is PSU so id suggest getting one for a test.also according to the graphic card specs have you checked the PSU req. by the graphic card.your ram looks fine but it all comes down to the specs of the card.so do that and drop me a post

Yes I have checked the requirements of my vid card, what I keep hearing over and over is that I need 26A on the +12V rail, minimum of a 400 watt power supply. mine is a 500 watt and has 28A on the +12V rail. however, my power supply does not have dedicated ports from a PCI express card like alot of power supplies that I have seen. it just has four, 4 pin connections, none of them are labeled and appear to be the same.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.