After updating the flash bios on an old Sony Vaio, I can no longer boot up (I got the message that the update was successful. I get the Sony screen (with the "Phoenix Technologies" logo in the corner), and it goes no further. I can't get into the bios, and it won't respond to the Windows CD disk for Windows reinstallation.

It's an old machine, and I have no diagnostic tools available. I assume I messed up the bios; are there any clever tricks to get access to it? Can a repair technician fix this? Is my only alternative sending it off to Sony repair for reimaging or "re-flashing" the bios?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

After updating the flash bios on an old Sony Vaio, I can no longer boot up (I got the message that the update was successful. I get the Sony screen (with the "Phoenix Technologies" logo in the corner), and it goes no further. I can't get into the bios, and it won't respond to the Windows CD disk for Windows reinstallation.

It's an old machine, and I have no diagnostic tools available. I assume I messed up the bios; are there any clever tricks to get access to it? Can a repair technician fix this? Is my only alternative sending it off to Sony repair for reimaging or "re-flashing" the bios?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

before the flash did you choose yes to backup to floppy the old bios settings ,if not then you are in trouble, the first thing you are suppose to do after a flash on first bootup is go into the bios and set to default and save changes and then try booting all the way into windows ,
also why the flash ,what problem were you trying to remedy ,as it is never recommended you flash bios unless its going to fix an issue you are having ..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.