I’ve had my computer for over 6 Months now, built it piece by piece over a couple weeks.

Windows XP Professional
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1GB DDR PC32000
80GB Western Digital HD
nVidia GeForce 6800GT
400W Power Supply

It’s a tragic computer.... Spent about $1900 maybe more, and ever since the day I finished it, it has had a random restart problem. I first sourced it to the Graphics card and called Tech support, I talked to the same guy for about 2 weeks during which I flashed the BIOS, Fooled with all sorts of Card Settings got all the windows updates and driver updates for my processor and my card, Went from windows 2000 to Windows XP and in the end replaced my Motherboard, None of which solved the problem (I returned the former motherboard when I found the new one did not fix the problem). Finally I replaced the Graphics card with my friends GeForce 4Ti and it still crashed, so then I decided it could be the RAM. Keeping the graphics card, I replaced my two sticks (Duel Cannel) of 1GB DDR PC3200 with my brothers two sticks of 256MB DDR PC2800 and had the same problem. I then took the assumption it could be the Power Supply, In fact I was positive it was the power supply. I had a L&C 450W and took my comp over to a friends house and replaced it with a 400W Antec... Same problem (I have the 400W Antec in here right now) Then I assumed it was the Hard Drive, I formatted an old 20GB HD I had, and installed Windows 2000 on it yesterday. Put it in, same problem. I’ve also taken the audio card out (Got desperate) and put it back in when I found that was not the problem. I’ve replaced the ribbons twice also.. I figure the only thing left to replace is the processor, and that’s too expensive at the moment and I’m not very faithful that that will fix it. This is one of the most depressing things ever to happen to me, I cant enjoy this computer I’ve worked so hard to get and have had for over 6 months now because of its Random Restarts, What’s the point of playing a game if you know its just going to restart at some random time and your going to loose your score and motivation or have to reload to a past save game, or whatever... I’m so sad, please offer some suggestions! Thanks for listening!

- Tea (Ian)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

HEAT!! You could try a different [there is always a better one] CPU Fan !maybe.

What motherboard do you have?

What is the brand of RAM you have?

I highly doubt heat is the problem here :/ I have temp gauges on everything and it all says around 35C I have a Thermaltake Case with 5 fans built in (http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/Damier/v5000d.htm) and a new Vantec Aeroflow 2 heatsink for the processor (http://www.xoxide.com/vaae2p.html).

The Motherboard is a ECS 848P-A, But I had replaced it with a brand new $170 ABit MB and had the same problems.

The RAM is, well here: (http://www.hardcorecooling.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=482) But as I said, I had traded it out also for the ram my brother has (Which is 2 Sticks of 256MB DDR PC2700) And those have been working great in his computer, not to mention my RAM worked great in his comp too.

Perhaps a BIOS update would correct the problem. There are a couple of versions of the ECS 848P-A motherboard listed on the ECS website, so you'd need to be sure which version you have. the latest BIOS revision seems to be version 2.2e

I'd also be suspicious of the RAM you've been using. Both your original modules and the ones you've replaced them with seem to me to be 'generic' unbranded modules. It's always better to use the budget lines of quality brands such as Kingston, Geil or Corsair, because you get wider compatibility with them. The problems you've been having are certainly ones which would result from using incompatible RAM. Your ECS motherboards simply mat not like the RAM you've used, and need better quality modules.

Hmmm, Well I have gotten the MB update already with no success. And I would think when I swapped out the ECS MB for a new Abit MB it would not have had issues with either RAM, but it still restarted. But you did bring up a good point, testing some RAM from a buddies PC would be another step worth taking. Any other suggestions?

Double check ALL internal connections - plugs, card slots etc etc, and make sure all are clean, free of lint or dust, and firmly connected.

Get the power supply unit checked for the various voltage levels it needs to output.

Make sure you format and install fresh before assuming that your problem is a hardware one.

Check your wall outlet and all plugs and adapters, to ensure they're all in good order and plugs are firmly inserted. Replace the power cord with a new one in case it's faulty.

I have checked and rechecked all internal connections, I have also replaced the IDE cables. I doubt dust is the problem because I have been having this problem since it was first built.

I will look into checking the various PSU Voltage Levels but as I said I have swapped out the PSU and am still having the same issues.

I have also formatted and reinstalled Windows on two HDs now. So I am sure that it is a hardware issue.

I have replaced the Power cord and plugged the computer in at another house.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any others?

Yeah! the only thing you haven't tried the Processor

Or an Exorcist!

Moved to 'Hardware', by the way. this is obviously not a Windows problem.

I’ve had my computer for over 6 Months now, built it piece by piece over a couple weeks.

Windows XP Professional
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1GB DDR PC32000
80GB Western Digital HD
nVidia GeForce 6800GT
400W Power Supply

It’s a tragic computer.... Spent about $1900 maybe more, and ever since the day I finished it, it has had a random restart problem. I first sourced it to the Graphics card and called Tech support, I talked to the same guy for about 2 weeks during which I flashed the BIOS, Fooled with all sorts of Card Settings got all the windows updates and driver updates for my processor and my card, Went from windows 2000 to Windows XP and in the end replaced my Motherboard, None of which solved the problem (I returned the former motherboard when I found the new one did not fix the problem). Finally I replaced the Graphics card with my friends GeForce 4Ti and it still crashed, so then I decided it could be the RAM. Keeping the graphics card, I replaced my two sticks (Duel Cannel) of 1GB DDR PC3200 with my brothers two sticks of 256MB DDR PC2800 and had the same problem. I then took the assumption it could be the Power Supply, In fact I was positive it was the power supply. I had a L&C 450W and took my comp over to a friends house and replaced it with a 400W Antec... Same problem (I have the 400W Antec in here right now) Then I assumed it was the Hard Drive, I formatted an old 20GB HD I had, and installed Windows 2000 on it yesterday. Put it in, same problem. I’ve also taken the audio card out (Got desperate) and put it back in when I found that was not the problem. I’ve replaced the ribbons twice also.. I figure the only thing left to replace is the processor, and that’s too expensive at the moment and I’m not very faithful that that will fix it. This is one of the most depressing things ever to happen to me, I cant enjoy this computer I’ve worked so hard to get and have had for over 6 months now because of its Random Restarts, What’s the point of playing a game if you know its just going to restart at some random time and your going to loose your score and motivation or have to reload to a past save game, or whatever... I’m so sad, please offer some suggestions! Thanks for listening!

- Tea (Ian)

I am having the same issue as you are. When it restarts, does it sometimes just shutdown completly? and you have to turn the power off completly and turn it back on again just to get it to start again?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.