My wife has an older Gateway 600 YGR laptop. When the power button is pushed, the lights will momentarily flash and the fan runs continuously, but the laptop does not boot up. Upon checking the heat sink posts ( which were broken), I noticed that the CPU socket would move if you wiggled it a little. Does anyone know if this socket should be re soldered? I am going to repair the screw post as per the recommendations given in other threads, but I am not sure if the socket can be re soldered or if this is what is causing the problem.. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi, have you checked whether the cpu socket is properly locked...maybe the lock on the socket is just loosen...don't know what type of socket you're using..
but if you're certain that the cpu socket from the mobo is the one having trouble...then it's quite difficult..you need special tools to do it..tools that are used in the production line..

hi, have you checked whether the cpu socket is properly locked...maybe the lock on the socket is just loosen...don't know what type of socket you're using..
but if you're certain that the cpu socket from the mobo is the one having trouble...then it's quite difficult..you need special tools to do it..tools that are used in the production line..

I checked the socket and made sure the cpu was locked down (that was the problem). I fixed the posts for the heat sink per others recommendations, but to no avail. I have tested the HD in another computer and it is okay. When I turn the laptop on, the fan runs and I can hear the HD start to run, but quits. The monitor won't come on at all and the fan continues to run at full speed until I turn it off. Also, the switch that puts the laptop into sleep mode, when you shut the lid, is broke, but that should not affect the operation of the computer.

it could be that your processor is overheating or either faulty....is your processor still using thermal compound? if its still using maybe try to put some and plug-in an external monitor check whether you can have a display or not..

hi i have an emx- mcp61p-avl motherboard type but the cpu socket in it is borken. can i possibly fix it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.