Hi there, Everyone:

I have a dead HP zv6000 laptop that just died on me after I tried to replace the CPU fan late last night. (replacing it required me to remove the thermal mount, replace the fan, and then put the thermal mount back on - among numerous other things).

When I power on, the fans start up (one is very noisy), and the lights for the power and the DVD drive in the front come on, but I don't hear the hard disk searching.

I don't see ANYTHING on the screen either. Nothing. Just black.

I don't hear any beeps or anything like that when I start up.

My keyboard on the laptop MIGHT BE toasted, because when I was trying to reinstall the ribbon that connects the keyboard, I broke the little ziff connector and had to try and jerry-rig it so the ribbon would slide back in.

any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this would be great.

Alternatively, I really am interested in getting the data off the hard drive. Is there a way to take the hard drive out and put in an external USB case or something so I can hook it up to my desktop computer?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Did you add new thurmal past to cpu /heatsinc,
to get files you would need to buy/borrow a external usb 2.5 drive case ,like this one .
http://www.softchoice.com/catalog/product.aspx?R=U12384_US_EN
also i broke the keyboard closure you mention on a Dell laptop ,i used hot glue stick /gun, to hold it in place ,still working after about 6 mnts!

Did you add new thurmal past to cpu /heatsinc,

I have to admit that I DIDN'T have any thermal paste to put on there. Could that be causing the problem?!?!?!

I don't even know where to get any...

Thanks,

I have to admit that I DIDN'T have any thermal paste to put on there. Could that be causing the problem?!?!?!

I don't even know where to get any...

Thanks,

could be ,could be causing the cpu to overheat,,but anything could be the problem ,you broke the clip, maybe you broke something else too,are you sure the hdd is in correctly,anything is possible!
get some at a computer store

could be ,could be causing the cpu to overheat,,but anything could be the problem ,you broke the clip, maybe you broke something else too,are you sure the hdd is in correctly,anything is possible!
get some at a computer store

I am pretty sure the Hard Drive is in correctly, since I took it out and flipped it over and tired it that way, and it still didn't work, so I put it back in again.

Any idea how TIGHTLY / LOOSELY the thermal unit is supposed to be screwed down on top of the CPU? It has those weird screws with springs. I just tightened it down hand tight, not super tight.

Out of curiosity, IF I were to remove the hard drive, should I hear beeps when I power on? And if I am supposed to hear beeps, what can they tell me? (I haven't tried this yet, but I just read it on another forum.)

The worst thing about this is that I took it apart to replace the cpu fan, because there was a grinding noise every time I turned on my computer. So after taking it apart and replacing it (and obviously killing it), the grinding noise is STILL there when I start up. Arrggg...

Mark

no you should not hear beeps when you boot with no hdd, you would hear beeps if you boot with no ram or no working video device ,the grining noise maybe the cdrom drive .
take out the ram and try booting

I have a HP dv6000 laptop. My problem is that it will not boot up. It sounds 3 beeps and that is it. What do I need to do.

I have a HP dv6000 laptop. My problem is that it will not boot up. It sounds 3 beeps and that is it. What do I need to do.

the beeps are a message from the bios ,so you need to find out what bios your laptop uses and then check this site to see 3 beeps means .
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

i have a dead zv6000.with the ac adapter plugged in,the only light i get is a blue blinking battery light. take battery out i get nil.the screen is black.no noise or lights anywhere.pushing the power switch does nothing.cant open dvd disc drive. where do i go from here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wayne

Has it been dropped or knocked violently?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.