here goes,

i have a computer that is home built by a friend of mine..everything has been going good for a long time now..but now for some reason i am running into a bit of a problem with my dvd drives..

issue: when i try to put any type of cd/dvd in the drive the computer will act as if nothing is in and will not read or play anything but the computer does recognize the dvd drives.

twist to the issue: i have another computer that i have plugged the dvd drives into and the drives will read any cd/dvd that i put in..as well as if i take the dvd drives from the other computer and plug them into the computer that wont read anything and the dvd drives will read the cd/dvd that i put in...

so pretty much the dvd drives that came with the computer when inserted in the original computer will not read anything but will read when put in to another computer...

stuff that i have done to do so far..is to delete the upper and lower filters..that did not have any success...i have reformated the computer with a brand new os that i have burned still will not work..i have uninstalled the software that came with the drives will not work..and i have attempted to upgrade the firmware on the dvd drive will not work..

if someone can please work with me and point me in the right direction it would be nice..i am a comp tech i work at a place called tag here in florida i know a bit about computers..took pc support in school..but i am officially stumped...if you need any more information please feel free to let me know and i will post the information as needed....

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

here goes,

i have a computer that is home built by a friend of mine..everything has been going good for a long time now..but now for some reason i am running into a bit of a problem with my dvd drives..

issue: when i try to put any type of cd/dvd in the drive the computer will act as if nothing is in and will not read or play anything but the computer does recognize the dvd drives.

twist to the issue: i have another computer that i have plugged the dvd drives into and the drives will read any cd/dvd that i put in..as well as if i take the dvd drives from the other computer and plug them into the computer that wont read anything and the dvd drives will read the cd/dvd that i put in...

so pretty much the dvd drives that came with the computer when inserted in the original computer will not read anything but will read when put in to another computer...

stuff that i have done to do so far..is to delete the upper and lower filters..that did not have any success...i have reformated the computer with a brand new os that i have burned still will not work..i have uninstalled the software that came with the drives will not work..and i have attempted to upgrade the firmware on the dvd drive will not work..

if someone can please work with me and point me in the right direction it would be nice..i am a comp tech i work at a place called tag here in florida i know a bit about computers..took pc support in school..but i am officially stumped...if you need any more information please feel free to let me know and i will post the information as needed....

Okay this isn't going to be very helpful information but the problem you are going through doesn't seem to be a special case that you stumbled upon or are just unlucky. I have had this exact problem happen to me with two drives that I've had for 2 years on my old computer.

What I suspect is simply age and bad hardware. They have been working for me during all those 2 years until I tried popping in World of Warcraft installer DVD which it was not able to detect. Now the real twist was that it would read CD's which my friend had. After a few months and a new computer which I built, the drives worked fine on the install but after that a few weeks later it was having the same trouble detecting DVD's and soon after that it wouldn't read anything at all.

Its lazy and less intuitive but I would say dump it, or try to strip it for parts if you have the technical know how to rebuild it, and buy a new one.

You cold try resetting your bios. Unplug from the mains then remove the CR2032 battery for about a minute. You will need to set your bios up again afterward but it's worth a try.

see i would say that it would be just age but one of the dvd drives are brand new maybe not even 6 months old...and i had put it into my personal computer and not one single problem in a month or two that i left it in the other computer for...so i know its not the dvd drives...but i will try to reset the browser ric from RCE but that may run into another problem im having..i have an LG LCD tv/monitor and it wont let me boot to the bios or it will but i just cant view it on the tv...but i will do that and keep posted...thanks for the info so far..if there is anything else that i can try if that doesnt work let me know...

It was the Bios that I said to reset, not browser.

typo sorry lol,,, yeah i know bios lol...

Typo's are fun, specially on support threads haha.

Try different IDE cable.
Try changing IDE channel.
Your jumper settings might cause this. Especially if both drives are set as "slave" and both are on same IDE channel.

thanks to everyone that responded,, i finally found out that it was the IDE cable that was making the drives not read anything thanks Chaky...now on to another problem i dont know if i can fix...the type of tv i have will not display my bios its an LG lcd monitor/tv any ideas

There usually is a swithch in BIOS for on-board video, or selection between PCI/E (or AGP) and PCI videocard.

If you have plugged in a PCI/E card, then you need a VGA display (for visual feedback) and set PCI/E card to be primary. That should do it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.