This machine started locking up randomly and even during boot up - then quit booting at all. When powering on, I hear the hard drive activate and a fan like sound running, but nothing else including a blank screen. I noticed the cpu fan not running so I replaced that. The problem still existed. I suspected damage to the processor still thinking that it was a heat problem from the fan not running, so I replaced the cpu. Still same problem. My next step was the motherboard, which came with yet another cpu, but this didn't fix anything either. I know this shouldn't matter, but I had another harddrive so I went ahead and swaped that, too. Also, just wanting to rule out a bad monitor, I hooked it to a desktop monitor, but had the same blank screen. I'm at a loss for anything else to replace and check. Any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

The two things you haven't mentioned are RAM and the power supply- have you tried to verify either of those yet?

I tested the power supply output with a multimeter and a 10 ohm 10% resistor to provide a load. It read at 15+ volts so I am assuming it to be a good supply. Can bad RAM also keep the fan from not working and the monitor not coming on at all?

You need to try a know good spare RAM to try in it and see if it comes up. I've seen many systems boot to a blank screen and after exchanging RAM it boots quite well, so try changing Memory.

Faulty RAM can do all sorts of strange things, so I wouldn't rule it out (especially given that you seem to have replaced almost all of the the other major components).

Also: this may be a long shot, but I know that at least a couple of models of laptops will start to exhibit symptoms (including locking up and/or not booting up properly) if either their main battery pack or the CMOS/motherboard battery are failing.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the Tecra laptops, so I can't say specifically what other components you might want to check.

This machine started locking up randomly and even during boot up - then quit booting at all. When powering on, I hear the hard drive activate and a fan like sound running, but nothing else including a blank screen. I noticed the cpu fan not running so I replaced that. The problem still existed. I suspected damage to the processor still thinking that it was a heat problem from the fan not running, so I replaced the cpu. Still same problem. My next step was the motherboard, which came with yet another cpu, but this didn't fix anything either. I know this shouldn't matter, but I had another harddrive so I went ahead and swaped that, too. Also, just wanting to rule out a bad monitor, I hooked it to a desktop monitor, but had the same blank screen. I'm at a loss for anything else to replace and check. Any help is appreciated.

hope this would help.....

i had the same problem before with my tecra 8100, i resolve it by adding a paper or a silicon to the clam to push the ground wire of the lcd making sure that it touches the frame or body..... due to the flipping of the lcd, the ground wire gets pulled loosing contact to the body or frame......

becareful when taking out the frame of the lcd, its soft, it breaks easily...

hope this would solve ur problem.....

I have the same trouble with a Toshiba Tecra 8100. It will not boot up. Did the things you did to your machine work.
Thanks wca

Hi , I have one these too. Try reseating the memory. You may also need to place a thin piece of card between ram and cover. The memory slots on alot a laptops are cr-p, but then again if they made them right they would need to go in for repair so often.

Hope this helps Russ

from what i have experience, when replacing memory or anything to ur laptop, always take the battery out and make sure power plug is not connected to the laptop...... by doing this will reset ur board and reset the registered memory or any other hardware from ur laptop, in most cases, tecra 8100 wont boot is because when u replace something without even taking the battery out, causing the laptop to malfunction and experience no startup......

hope this would help......... :)

sounds like you need a new power supply unit,see if you can swap the power supply with someone with a proven working power supply of the same type,saves cash buying one but its the only component you havent changed,if it works then buy new one

I really don't think the OP will still have the same computer now, this thread was last posted to on Jun 18th, 2005

i had the same thing going on the lights turn i hear the hdd and the fan but nothing on the screen what i did i reset the cmos and the fan cable plug it back turn on the laptop and it but now the fan is not working hope it works

In windows vista how to install hyperterminol

My Tecra boots to a black scrccn then on the black screen it says please remove incompatible memory module in slot A I also have a tegra 8200 wich works fine. But the memory will not boot up the 8100 is there a special memory for the 8100 Please reply Tony

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.