I have a Gateway MT6706 laptop that will not power up. I was using a replacement Targus AC adapter because the original one shorted out. The new AC adapter seemed to start shorting out as well, but if I held the cord just right, then it'd charge the battery. The cord finally stopped working entirely, so I purchased a new cord. In the meantime, the battery was drained. When I plug in the new AC adapter with the battery in the laptop, a red light flashes on the front of the machine. This is the light that usually pulsates a glowing pink/magenta when the machine is charging. When I pull the battery out and just use the AC adapter, the machine does nothing. I've tested the AC adapter on my HP laptop from work with a different adapter tip and it worked fine with the HP, so I don't think the new AC adapter is bad. Is it possible that there is a problem with the jack on the laptop that you plug the AC adapter into? If so, how bad is that to get fixed? Thanks in advance for any help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,
It wound not be bad to get fixed, in fact it would be good to have it fixed... LOL Sorry about that..
Labor is the expensive part of that repair. You have to decide how much the PC is worth to you and if you feel it is worth spending $??? on it. You only assume that it is the problem, it could be something that will cost as much as a new PC to repair. See if you can get a free quote from a repair man and then decide what you want to do.

I have the same problem with my gateway laptop - took it to the shop, paid $173 to fix the jack - they broke the hinge on the screen while it was there - when they called was told it didn't fix the problem and that it could be a motherboard problem. 3 days earlier had purchased power cord #3 for $75.

Tried the atx(?) fix and now we get a blinking red light where the charging light (blue/magenta) should be. At this point we have a paper weight with all our financial data on it and are extremely frustrated

Hope our experience helps

===============================================

Hi,
It wound not be bad to get fixed, in fact it would be good to have it fixed... LOL Sorry about that..
Labor is the expensive part of that repair. You have to decide how much the PC is worth to you and if you feel it is worth spending $??? on it. You only assume that it is the problem, it could be something that will cost as much as a new PC to repair. See if you can get a free quote from a repair man and then decide what you want to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.