HI,
I was working on my laptop for few hours (just surfing/chatting)..and suddenly now screen went blank... and wont comeback... i tried rebooting it but still no avail.... it wont show even the initial bios setting.. i tried to connect it to desktop monitor still blank.. but hard drive light is continuously lit (it is not blinking it just switch on and remain that way)...

And if i remember correctly 20-30 minutes before this happened my laptop battery light went red (which means it is charging) though it was fully charged though i ignored it...

My system configuration:

NEC Versa E680.. around one year old but heavily used.. left switched on most of the times...

1.6 GHZ centrino..

772 MB DDR ram (512 dimm installed just last month)
40 gb Hard drive
XP home SP2 with all updates
video card not sure but searching on net shows similar system with Intel Extreme Graphics DVMT Video Controller
Video Memory: shared: 32 OR 64MB(not sure)

I have also tried take off the battery.. and i suspect there is no fan activity thought there is sound of Hard drive moving i guess.. caps lock /num lock light wont switch on.. though putting a CD in drive will do some action though nothing i can use/.. may be it is because of fan failure??

Please help.. i have got lots of imp data on this machine...

Thanks in advance..

Regards
Dabs

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Hi,
here are updates of what i have tried:

I have tried to re-seat the rams.. even one by one (keeping other dimm out)...... no change

I changed the hard drive with a brand new one (i got one spare) it switches off the hard drive LED.. (but switching back to old hard drive gets it again continuously lit mode...).... don't know what does this imply??

putting a cd/dvd makes it auto run (i know because there are CD spinning sound) .. so with that can i conclude that at least processor/ MB is working??

but still no fan action..... may be that is the culprit?? is there something which prevent bios to run if fan fails???

I am unable to open it up so cant get access to MB battery.. does anybody know how to do that??

Please advise

Hi, I'm facing the same problem. Can you please update me how did you solve this? Unfortunately, I am outside warranty coverage. :(

Thanks.

could try checking the thermal paste on the proscessor. if it's heavily used this will take a pasting (appologies for the bad pun) and may need replacing. laptop proscessors tend to run hot due to the lack of available cooling/airflow and maybe hitting it's cuttout temp.

although what you said about the processor needing thermal paste is sometimes true, it is unlikely that it is the problem here. On all of the toshibas that i have delt with in the past, it is due to the switch that tells the laptop whether or not the lid is closed. This can be fixed in one of two ways (that i know if).

First is to figure out how your specific switch works. Some are simpally a little button that gets depressed when the lid closes. If this is case you can figure out how it is getting stuck or jsut break the button off completly (not highly recomended but will do the trick).

Second (the better method) is to search around in the bios of the laptop for a setting for what the laptop will do when the lid is closed. Usually there are options similar to turn off, hibernate, sleep, or do nothing. If you see this, change the option to do nothing. (note, your computer will stay on even after you shut the lid unless you speciffically tell it to shut down windows or hibernate or sleep.) If you do this and your screen still goes black, you may have a loose wireing job or a failing lcd back light.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts. I'm sorry but JemB is close while Nizzy# expects and resolves the Toshiba problem he faced. My problem is nothing do with the Lid switch as I can see the Laptop running, No POST, no audible beeps of any sort, no initial/BIOS display (completely black screen as if it is not powered) but Power button on and there is spinning activity if I insert a bootable/non bootable CD but no audible HDD spinning activity.

May be I missed to reinstate my problem stmt details in my last msg as I thought it is exactly same as Dabs. In addition to the above details, here is my craptop's config.

The piece of murky h/w I have is a PackardBell EasyNote W3333 (1.8GHz AMD 64bit Turion M32, 1GB, 80GB, ATI Radeon Express 128MB, 17" WXGA 1660x900) wired to a Dell Trinitron P770 monitor thru VGA out port to save LCD lifetime during docked mode)

Some of the points/symptoms to consider are:
1. The day when the display suddenly went blank, the last h/w operation I did was re-connecting the my DELL monitor's VGA card to the laptop as I saw a wave-bend in the top scane lines of the CRT monitor. I thought VGA is an asynchronous data port and should not cause any problem, so went ahead and re-connected it and then the display was clear without any bends. I do it numerous times to my office laptop when connecting it to projectors. Initially, I thought the primary display in my laptop display setting was CRT monitor and disconnecting would have caused the primary display settings fall back to laptop's LCD but that was not the problem since I can see the CRT monitor display was not lost and i got a very clear (no-bends) image once I reconnected the VGA cable.

2. The most recent software change the laptop undergone was BIOS upgrade from the laptop manufacturer Packard Bell's Notebook Support website (the update was specifically meant for this model precise to the least significant byte in model number)

2. Its a very new piece I have hardly used it for 2 months. I have not used it heavily, max continuous operation was 3hrs that too only once to watch a DVD movie.

3. The manufacturer has no known support in South East Asia region, where I reside.

I wish I had procured a Sony vaio rather for the same price from the same vendor. But then that vaio model didn't have s-video, 64-bit CPU, 1GB RAM, 17" LCD and now I realize why, but its too late :(

Thanks in advance for your support.

re Imdabs, if the earthing wire from the fan has become disconnected it could have this effect. unusual but i have seen it on several laptops, you just reground it to the case, the metal plate under the keyboard usually does ok. To get into case on laptops you normally have to pop out one of the plastic panels above(or below) the keyboard which comes out next, but i would have a look about on the net for a tech manual.
Sounds like different prob for Sonofagun, did it stop working immediately after the BIOS upgrade? if so then thats it. even with the right BIOS upgrade it can go wrong, in which case only a new bios chip(identical) or a 'hot swap' could fix it. i'd always advise never to run a BIOS upgrade unless it's an absolute last resort, too easy to get wrong and you only get one go! if it's only a couple of months old, i'd take it back under warranty (and not mention the bios upgrade). good luck.

To JemB re BIOS upgrade:

No, it was working just fine for a fortnight or so after the BIOS upgrade.

But, It stopped working say 15 to 20 minutes after I re-connected the VGA cable to CRT while the laptop's kbd and mouse were idle. Basically it did not recover from power-saving mode even after I pushed the power button, so I had to press and hold to shutdown/pull the power plug (i don't remember exactly what I did). But when I retart again, It does not even show the BIOS/POST page and hung on black screen. Neither native laptop kbd/pointing device nor usb kbd/mouse works.

Thanks.

I also notice now that the CPU cooler fan does not work and there is no visible leak in the thermal paste or something i can notice. Reseating RAM did not help. I can notice the spinning activity if there is CD in a DVD/CD drive. I could not locate the BIOS CMOS battery to reset it.

Unfortunately, I could not buy Packard Bell's international warranty from the vendor as it was not available for India.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this. The symtoms have appeared on my Toshiba Satellitte 3000 X4.

Screen is almost completely blank (you can just about make about dialoge boxes etc if you look very close).

But other than that the computer seems to be working.

However, sometimes the screem works as normal?!!

PLEASE HELP?!?!?

Gabriel

hey,

i have had the same problem with my computer as imdabs, the only thing i have been able to do to turn the computer on is move the screen until the computer finially turns on. But if i bump the screen at all the screen will go blank right away and i will have to turn the computer completely off for it to work again. if anyone has found a solution to this problem i would love to know it

thanks

Hi, another Newbie here and I amhaving trouble with my IBM T22 display screen...which is also black.

It starts up, goes to the Windows welcome and then goes blck. The hard drive is fine as I pulled it and tried it in another laptop. Oddly, when the battery needs recharging and it is not plugged in to AC, it goes to the bios password and configuration. The screen is fine. As soon the new date and time are entered and F10 is pushed the screen goes black.

Any help would be appreciated. I love my T22 and really don't want another type of laptop.

Thanks,

Marybeth

Hi,

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this. The symtoms have appeared on my Toshiba Satellitte 3000 X4.

Screen is almost completely blank (you can just about make about dialoge boxes etc if you look very close).

PLEASE HELP?!?!?

Gabriel

That strikes as your inverter is dead dude if you can see faint images but have no backlight.

So is this problem fatal?

Marybeth

no not at all. Most inverters cost around £25-£40 pounds, I know some american sites that sell them for around $80 for various models.
However you may replace the inverter and still have no backlight, which means in some cases you will need a new set of backlights.
But mostly it is an inverter problem if the screen is dark, but images can be made out if you shine a bright light on it or look very closely at the screen.

Hi,

PLEASE HELP?!?!?

Gabriel

Your problem is the backlight on your monitor is done. Unfortunately on the toshiba, the backlight cannot be replaced alone. It is made to the lcd screen but is not detachable and you must replace the entire package. The whole thing will cost you between 3 and 4 hundred dollars American money so I don't know what that will be for you. Good luck.

this is what i have to help u help me word
myspace.com/dudemanjohn god-31@hotmail.com

Product Number GA535UA#ABA
Microprocessor 1.8 GHz AMD Turion ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56
Microprocessor Cache 512KB+512KB L2 Cache
Memory 1024 MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Memory Max 2048 MB max supported
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)
Video Memory Up to 287 MB
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 14.1" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN
Multimedia Features HP Imprint Finish & HP Pavilion Webcam with Integrated Microphone
Sound Altec Lansing
Keyboard 101-key compatible & 2 Quick Launch Buttons-HP Quick Play Menu and DVD
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots

* 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
* 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
* 2 Headphone out - 1 w/SPDIF Digital Audio & 1 stereo
* 1 microphone-in
* 1 VGA (15-pin)
* 1 TV-Out (S-video)
* 1 RJ-11 (modem)
* 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
* 1 notebook expansion port 3
* 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
* 1 Consumer IR

Dimensions 13.15" (L) x 9.33" (W) x 1.02" (min H)/1.54" (max H)
Weight 5.4lbs
Security

* Kensington® MicroSaver lock slot
* Power-on password
* Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

* 65W AC Adapter
* 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

What's In The Box HP Mobile Wireless Laser Mouse

Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

HP Mobile Remote Control
Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
Security and Support:
Symantec® Norton Internet Security 2007 (including 60 days complimentary live update)

HP Total Care Help & Support Center

PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)
Multimedia:
Vongo

HP PhotoSmart Essentials

HP Quick Play

Muvee AutoProducer Basic Edition

RealRhapsody

Roxio Creator 9 Basic

Snapfish
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft ® Works

Microsoft® Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition: 60 Day Trial Version
Internet Solutions:
AOL® Dial-Up

but runing cox high speed internet

Microsoft® Internet Explorer

Wireless Home Network

Adobe® Acrobat Reader
Service and Support
Warranty and Support
2-Year Limited Hardware Warranty, Toll Free Support (NA)

2-Year Free Hardware Technical Support

30-Days Free Software Support (Free 90-Day Software Support with Product Registration) from date of purchase

i know this dose not count for me i have it a good long time

i cant see zhit ,nothing ,i hear it run but thats all the screen wont work i add the monitor from my home cpu but even when i push the button it wont work i've open it up all the way clean it did the ram thing could not get the thing to kick on if you can help please do
hp dv2413cl windows vista home amd 64x2 nvidia

this is what i have to help u help me word
myspace.com/dudemanjohn god-31@hotmail.com

Product Number GA535UA#ABA
Microprocessor 1.8 GHz AMD Turion ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56
Microprocessor Cache 512KB+512KB L2 Cache
Memory 1024 MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Memory Max 2048 MB max supported
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)
Video Memory Up to 287 MB
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 14.1" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN
Multimedia Features HP Imprint Finish & HP Pavilion Webcam with Integrated Microphone
Sound Altec Lansing
Keyboard 101-key compatible & 2 Quick Launch Buttons-HP Quick Play Menu and DVD
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots

* 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
* 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
* 2 Headphone out - 1 w/SPDIF Digital Audio & 1 stereo
* 1 microphone-in
* 1 VGA (15-pin)
* 1 TV-Out (S-video)
* 1 RJ-11 (modem)
* 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
* 1 notebook expansion port 3
* 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
* 1 Consumer IR

Dimensions 13.15" (L) x 9.33" (W) x 1.02" (min H)/1.54" (max H)
Weight 5.4lbs
Security

* Kensington® MicroSaver lock slot
* Power-on password
* Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

* 65W AC Adapter
* 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

What's In The Box HP Mobile Wireless Laser Mouse

Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

HP Mobile Remote Control
Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
Security and Support:
Symantec® Norton Internet Security 2007 (including 60 days complimentary live update)

HP Total Care Help & Support Center

PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)
Multimedia:
Vongo

HP PhotoSmart Essentials

HP Quick Play

Muvee AutoProducer Basic Edition

RealRhapsody

Roxio Creator 9 Basic

Snapfish
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft ® Works

Microsoft® Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition: 60 Day Trial Version
Internet Solutions:
AOL® Dial-Up

but runing cox high speed internet

Microsoft® Internet Explorer

Wireless Home Network

Adobe® Acrobat Reader
Service and Support
Warranty and Support
2-Year Limited Hardware Warranty, Toll Free Support (NA)

2-Year Free Hardware Technical Support

30-Days Free Software Support (Free 90-Day Software Support with Product Registration) from date of purchase

i know this dose not count for me i have it a good long time

This the only way the smart boy does click on the home button for 5 mins until it switches off then restart when it is switched on click f8 continuosly and the advanced bott option comes up click on repair computer and it will say windows file loading a blue screen pops up and kepp clicking next and system restore and thats u fineshed and it will be restarting and dont forget to visit my website www.tryingtodefeat666.webnode.com
Thanks
john <nickname> heheh se u email me for more info;)

Hi anyone.
i was searching on the web and the screen went blank, i had dinner then i went to bed i was just about to watch shameless on itv iplayer i put it on fullscreen and within 2 minutes it went blank. if i got it repaired does that mean that i have a extre warrenty. Thanks

How can i fix this matter.

I was working with my laptop and suddenly the screen went off. Though i can see but not clear because the light for the screen was not lighting. Please help me on what to do( i am sunday fubara)

I had the same problem. my computer was already jacked up an the trimming was gone. so what i did was unscrewed my screen from the back panel and dropped the back panel. took a light and shined it on the back. works pretty decently. Goodluck!

I have a HP pavillion dv2000 and i experienced the same problem, then I searched for the answer to this strange situation and found that this works like MAGIC! :

1. UNPLUG THE POWER
2. REMOVE BATTERY
3. HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 30/60 SECONDS
4. REATTACH POWER AND START THE LAPTOP
5. SHUT BACK DOWN
6. PUT IN THE BATTERY
7. THATS IT

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.