Hey, I am on a different computer now because my computer is not working. It boots up and it continues to run, however the keyboard and mouse do not work. They are plugged in and everything and I even tried a new mouse, so I'm pretty sure it's the computer causing the problem. At first, I was able to live with it, the mouse would freeze up for a few seconds every once in a while and the computer would beep, but it would go right back to normal afterwards. Then, the mouse stopped responding completely a couple days later, and eventually the keyboard stopped working also. I really don't know what could be causing this. I read on some other threads that it could be that the computer is overheating or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Shawhey

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hey, I am on a different computer now because my computer is not working. It boots up and it continues to run, however the keyboard and mouse do not work. They are plugged in and everything and I even tried a new mouse, so I'm pretty sure it's the computer causing the problem. At first, I was able to live with it, the mouse would freeze up for a few seconds every once in a while and the computer would beep, but it would go right back to normal afterwards. Then, the mouse stopped responding completely a couple days later, and eventually the keyboard stopped working also. I really don't know what could be causing this. I read on some other threads that it could be that the computer is overheating or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Shawhey

welcome to daniweb shawhey :D

this doesn't sound like an over heating problem as opposed to a problem with either your keyboard and mouse or a problem with the ports you have them plugged into. are your keyboard and mouse plugged into the PS/2 ports on the back of your machine or into USB. if they are PS/2 try a USB keyboard and mouse and Vice versa. Also it might not hurt you to check in the BIOS and ensure that the ports are not somehow disabled.:)

If the PS/2 ports are knackered it'll more likely mean that you'll need a new motherboard.

Hey, they're working again and I am on the computer now, but the mouse is back to freezing for a couple of seconds every once in a while and the computer beeping. I tried using a wireless USB mouse, but I can't seem to get it working. Does the normal mouse have to be unplugged for the USB mouse to work?

I would suggest that wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the system fresh might be an idea. Make sure that you back up data first, if possible, fitting the hard drive as 'slave' in a different PC to back up data if necessary.

You need to determine if it really is a hardware problem, and a fresh install is usually the best method of doing just that. If it still doesn't work with a fresh install of Windows, then it's time to start looking for hardware problems ;)

Hey, they're working again and I am on the computer now, but the mouse is back to freezing for a couple of seconds every once in a while and the computer beeping. I tried using a wireless USB mouse, but I can't seem to get it working. Does the normal mouse have to be unplugged for the USB mouse to work?

a wireless usb mouse ideally has to be tuned into a frequency between the base station and the mouse itself. if this is successful whenever you move the mouse you should notice a flashing LED.:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.