I just recently tried to take my old athalon 900mhz mb/processor out of storage and toss it into a case for a filler computer to use. Unfortunatly when I try to power up the power comes on briefly, I hear/see the cpu and case fan come on, then they shut off. Nothing shows up on the monitor, no beeps, just fans on then off. I pulled all the memory out thinking it might have been bad/wrong speed but still same results. Once it shuts off it does not want to come back on, I have to wait a couple mins or unplug the power then plug it back in. Even shutting off the power supply switch does not seem to do it. I was using this case just this morning so I know the power supply is good. Is it likely that my cpu is toast? Or can you suggest something else I could try. Dont really want to spend a lot on this so any suggestions to fix are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I was using this case just this morning so I know the power supply is good. Is it likely that my cpu is toast?

So did you just put the cpu in this case or is it a different motherboard as well ,if it is maybe the front panel wires are not pluged in correctly ,or the board is not compatiable with the cpu .any number of things can cause this

ok,sorry let me clarify, It is the old mb/cpu combo I had used before, never pulled the cpu off, just pulled the mb with cpu on it out and had it sitting in the closet for a couple years, I did plug the front case wires to the mb, and I'm 90% sure this is the same case I had used originally with this mb.

ok ,it was just sitting for awhile remove and reseat anything that has been pluged in all that time .may be the ram doesn't match the MB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.