Hi,
I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 with WIN2K OS. It originally had 128MB ram on slot B and slot A was empty.
I wanted to upgrade the memory hence I bought a 256MB ram (Kingston PC 100 144 pin 100 MHz - Toshiba recommended memory). When I installed the 256 in Slot A, the system doesn't boot-up.

I removed the 128 from Slot B and replaced it with the 256, this time it works just fine.
Now, I tried adding the 128 in slot A, but this time also it doesn't boot.

My question is,
is there a problem with the laptop's memory slot 'A' ? If so, is it possible to correct it?

OR
The system doesn't take more than 256MB ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

It's probably a problem with slot A, the Tecra 8100 supports up to 512 MB of RAM.

So send the 256 back and get a 512 if 256 isn't enough :-)

So send the 256 back and get a 512 if 256 isn't enough :-)

eh, it only supports up to 256mb sticks... total capacity is 512... meaning 256x2!

Memory Configure this Product
Type: 64 / 128 / 256 Mbit SO-DIMM PC100
SDRAM, 3.3V, 100MHz
Capacity: Up to 512MB*
Two internal memory slots. At least one slot
configured with base memory.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/tecra_8100.pdf

as far as the slot... does it look damaged at all... are all the pins okay?

OK, deal with 256 :)

OK, deal with 256 :)

Thanks both for the answers !

Now, is there a way to correct the slot? If I take it to Toshiba service centers, will they be able to fix it?

Thanks once again ! :)

quite possibley (it depends on what is wrong... it could possible be something wrong with the MBO. If that was the case they would need to replace the MBO)... take it there and see what they say...

quite possibley (it depends on what is wrong... it could possible be something wrong with the MBO. If that was the case they would need to replace the MBO)... take it there and see what they say...

Thanks for the help !

The memory socket is probably the problem. You might have to resolder it. Happened to me once (t8100), for my son once (t8200)

hi everyone. I'm having some problems with my tecra 8100. one of the ram memories died and i decided to upgrade'em. i purchased 2x256mb sdram pc 100 sodimm made by integral (snsrxp) but the laptop wont boot . the slots are ok, as it boots ok when i plug the old 64 mb ram in both slots. Whre could i check the compatibility of those rams?

-

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.