Well this laptop is having a problem. When you turn it on it won't boot (black screen) and then shuts down then boots up, then shuts down, then boots up and so forth. It has a Pentium 4. I took out a intel centrino chip from another laptop and the Acer turned on and stayed on the screen backlight also turned on but still no image on screen. Now the laptop did not turn on and off but instead you can't turn it off unless disconnect power. Thinking it was a busted CPU I bought a new Pentium 4 but lo and behold I put it in and it went back to shutting off and turning on etc. Is the Mobo dead?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

..hi there!..try to swap or replace a new memory to your current memory..i hope it helps!..^_^..

..hi there!..try to swap or replace a new memory to your current memory..i hope it helps!..^_^..

At first I thought it was the RAM and after taking it out switching it around and stuff it still was in the same cycle but ok. I have some other laptop Ram modules I will put those in and see what's up. I just don't think that both Dimm modules could have gone bad.

The thing is when I put in a centrino processor there is a change in how the computer works. The backlight goes on and the computer stays on but nothing shows up on the screen. Now If U put a Pentium 4 processor it will turn on and off on and off with the screen backlight not even turning on.

The thing is when I put in a centrino processor there is a change in how the computer works. The backlight goes on and the computer stays on but nothing shows up on the screen. Now If U put a Pentium 4 processor it will turn on and off on and off with the screen backlight not even turning on.

sorry I meant a Pentium dual core

..is your laptop compatible for pentium dual core?..give me the specs of your processor..some laptops are not meant for upgradability..double check if you install properly your processor maybe there is a pin that has been mislocated..give me info about the issue still continues when you replace or swap a new memory dimm to your old memory..tnx..^_^..

..is your laptop compatible for pentium dual core?..give me the specs of your processor..some laptops are not meant for upgradability..double check if you install properly your processor maybe there is a pin that has been mislocated..give me info about the issue still continues when you replace or swap a new memory dimm to your old memory..tnx..^_^..

The Laptop originally came with a Pentium dual core 2.16ghz processor. I thought it was a problem with the processor so I bought the exact same processor brand new, and it doesn't work. It seems to work better with a processor that it is not compatible with it.

..ahhh...did you try to replace or swap a new memory to your old one?..

Hi all! My laptop is doing the same thing. Can anyone tell me if replacing or swapping the memory actually fixed the problem? Took it to a tech guy and they said they thought it was the motherboard but I just want to find out if swapping the memory works before trying to buy a new one. Cheers!

I bet it has Nvidia graphics and/or chipset! Am I correct?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.