I have an AMD Athelon 800 MHertz system with a K7 PRO motherboard. I am running Windows 2000. I have 256 Megs of RAM. The Athelon was purchased in June of 2000.

My PC will not power on at all. When I turn on the switch at the power strip/surge protector, the fan on the power supply comes on this is not normal. The red LED light for the hard drive indicator is on as well as the green power light.

What normally happens when I turn on the power strip switch is that the monitor powers on and the scanner powers on. I would then push the power button on the front of the PC and the unit would begin its initialization process and then the power supply fans would come on.

I have tried using a known good power supply and I get the same results. I replaced my hard drive on January 11, 2004 a Western Digital 40 gigabyte. I would like to think its not the hard drive. Anyway, I keep virus definitions up to date and all that.

Thanks for any help in diagnosing this problem.

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

have you tried pluggin the tower into another source !

My PC will not power on at all. When I turn on the switch at the power strip/surge protector, the fan on the power supply comes on this is not normal. The red LED light for the hard drive indicator is on as well as the green power light.

Try unplugging the HD's power connector first. If the problem does not clear up, your motherboard is probably at fault. Be aware that all power management is done in software on modern (read ATX) boards. It could either be the CPU or the chipset, but it is likely one or the other.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.