I have unfortunately dropped my sony vaio from about a foot and a half and now it won't start. When I press the power button the LEDs go on, something clunks around a bit (as you can tell I dont know what I'm talking about), but that’s it. No fan, nothing on the screen, nothing else at all. Out of desperation I have tried connecting another screen and nothing showed up on the other screen either.

Anyone know what is likely to be wrong? It has already had one motherboard replaced when someone else dropped it! It would not be worth replacing another mother board. Would getting one of those hard drive cradles, trying to recover my data, and writing it off be the best next move?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion you would be better off with something else. I am a computer engineer and have dealt with a fair few Sony Vaio's and I have to say I am thoroughly unimpressed with their biuld quality. Just don't go and get an HP DV series laptop as a replacement as their build quality is a lot worse!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.