I got this computer from a friend who was having some problems booting it up. I tried to run a floppy disc to format the hard drive, but it doesn't make it that far in the start-up process. The OS is Windows 98, I believe. The computer is a Intel Desktop Board. When I start the computer it goes to a black screen and it says:

Intel Base-code, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2001, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Intel Corporation
PXE-M0F: Exiting intel PXE rom
Boot Failure: System Halted

I do not know what to do to start it up or reboot it. If this is not posted in the right forum please direct me to the correct one. Thanks.

Kyle

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Start by pulling all cards from the machine except for the video card. Then, find the Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard, and clear it. See if that makes any difference.

On startup try pushing the escape button,then f1 button.This should take you into the bios.Once in there go to the settings for changing the CD Rom to be first on bootup and then hardrive second.It sounds to me that you have the boot process on PXE network booting first.This might just help the computer to bootup.

you need to change the boot order in the bios.....select floppy, then CD then Hard disk....or you should have an option on the bios screen to plress a key for the boot menu...press that key and choose the drive you want to boot from.....

PXE is when the PC cannot find any other boot device it try booting from a network connection....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.