Hi. I recently assembled a new pc, but when I turn it on, there is no signal to the screen, and no beeps from the motherboard. All of the fans spin, and the case power light is lit though. I tried only connecting the motherboard, graphics card, cpu, cpu cooler and 1 ram block. For power, I connect the 24 pin, and 8 pin to the motherboard, aswell as two 6 pin to the graphics card.

I have tested it with some hardware from another computer. Tried taking the power supply and ram from a working computer with no luck. I also tested the graphics card in another computer, and it works.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3
CPU: Core i3 I3-2100 3 MB
CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 Heat Pipe CPU Cooler
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 2 GB (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
Graphics card: Saphire Radeon 5870
Power supply: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520

Anyone got any idea of what it could be?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You probably need both RAM sticks installed for it to boot. That is pretty normal for dual-channel motherboards. This is assuming that all the other cruft is properly installed and connected (CPU, etc).

I tried with everything connected first time I booted.
I also tried with two of the ram blocks from my other computer.

Also, the motherboard manual states "If you install only one memory module or two non-identical memory modules, it is unable to activate the Dual Channel Memory Technology."
So I assume it can work with only one.

I did remove the cpu cooler to double check the cpu. I can't see it sitting any other way.

I'm pretty sure the ram, graphics card and power connectors are all the way into their socket.

You say there is no signal to the screen but all the fans and LED's are working, that sounds like a monitor problem to me. Have you perhaps recently installed a new graphics card?

Well, it's a newly assembled pc, so yeah.

When I got all these problems, I did test both the graphics card and the monitor in another computer though. They were both working fine.

I'm thinking it could be something with the motherboard - since it's not even beeping.

I had the same problem, it turned out to be a short in the MB. Try taking it out again and putting it back in.

When I did the testing, I had the motherboard outside the case, on the plastic mat that came with the motherboard. I don't think the plastic mat is conductive.

how is it connected to the monitor ,vga or dvi cables,no adapters.
and yes it should run fine with one stick of ram,did you apply thermal paste to the cpu when you installed it, board appears to have onboard video ,did you try running it on that and not the Saphire card

There is a dvi to vga converter between the screen and the graphics card, but they have been tested to work in another computer.

Doesn't the fact that there aren't coming any beeps from the motherboard indicate that it might be a problem with a broken motherboard? From what I have read, motherboards are supposed to give a single beep to indicate everything is ok. This one is completely silent apart from the fans.

My MB also doesn't give any beeps on startup but is working fine though

There is a dvi to vga converter between the screen and the graphics card, but they have been tested to work in another computer.

Doesn't the fact that there aren't coming any beeps from the motherboard indicate that it might be a problem with a broken motherboard? From what I have read, motherboards are supposed to give a single beep to indicate everything is ok. This one is completely silent apart from the fans.

i seen a new build do what yours is doing ,and it was the adapter,once we hooked it to a monitor with a dvi connection and dvi cable, no adapter it worked .

the fact there is no beeps means it not a hardware problem ,if it were hardware ,like ram or video ,then you would get beeps ,the board is working somewhat or the fans wouldn't spin ,is the harddrive spinning ,you should be able to here it or feel it spinning.

and a repeat question i asked in my last post ,did you try booting it to the onboard video,as a google search of your boards model # it shows it has a vga onboard video device

make sure the processor is totally fit to the slot... try to check again....

I'm sorry for being away.

I RMA'ed the motherboard, which fixed it, so it must have been some problem with the motherboard. Anyway, everything works like a charm now.. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.