Greetings,

My friends noutebook Emachines e528 felt down from a table and now he has the following issue:

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Operating System not found

I tried to take out the computer battery for some time, it didn't resolve the issue. Another advice was to change boot priority in BIOS, this notebook BIOS has the following boot priority:

1. IDE HDD
  2. CD/DVD
  3. PCI LAN
  4. USB HDD
  5. USB CDROM
  6. USB FDD
  7. USB KEY

I wanted to move CD/DVD to the first boot priority and bios says I have to use F5 and F6 to do so, however when I press these keys nothing happens I can't move the device boot priority with BIOS reccomended F5 and F6 keys.

Any help be much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Winndara

if the computer fell down from a table and the computer no longer boots, it is possible that the computer's hard drive was damaged, OR the cable that connects the hard drive became loose. Since the computer did boot up to the POST (power on self test) and you saw the messages described above, it appears that the overall computer is working. The battery is OK, and the BIOS order has no relevance since the BIOS order would not change from a fall.

I would suggest you focus on the hard drive. If you know someone with technical skills, the computer should be opened, the hard drive cables checked. If you have an external USB IDE/SATA connector, you can take this hard drive out and plug it into another computer to see if you can access the hard drive's contents. If so, that may mean that the hard drive is partially damanged. Try resetting the drive back into the computer and see if that helps.

If all else fails, a new hard drive may be the last resort. If you can access the data from this drive on a another computer, at least you will be able to save the data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.