right....today i fitted all my components together but when i pluged the power supply lead and turn the power supply on it makes a litte scratching noise and the fan in the power supply spins for less then a second and stops . however there is a green light ON on the mobo which im hoping thats a good news and that i havent done any damage to the mobo.
i carefully followed the manual aswell that was given to me with the mobo. HELP!!!! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Sound like a underated power supply.

RAM, motherboard, and processor are the likely culprits. Make sure everything is connected well, nonetheless.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM, put only one in at a time to test them.

Your motherboard may be faulty: New boards can be duds from the start and should be refunded. MSI and ASUS are very trusted brands through my building. You probably haven't done damage to the motherboard, either...

Check the processor for any visible signs of damage. Otherwise... new board.
For the reference, what kind of power supply are you using?

mobo: asus p5wd2 premium.
power supply: akasa powerpax 400watt.
pny 1gb ram
pentium 4 3.2 ghz cpu
gforce t6600 with turbo cache

ive also tried it with another power 400watt power supply that came with the case but still same thing happened green light came ON on the mobo but no fan nothing was powering up.

and also with my case i have 2 usbs attached to it which are on the bottom on the front panel. i have 8 lil wires coming from the front usbs (4wires for each usb i think) for one usb there is a red wire which says vcc1 on it you also got green = data+1, white = data-1 and black = gnd1 and same with the 2nd usb aswell. do i also need to connect to them on the mobo aswell inorder for the pc to power up if not then where can i connect them on the mobo??

and also with my case i have 2 usbs attached to it which are on the bottom on the front panel. i have 8 lil wires coming from the front usbs (4wires for each usb i think) for one usb there is a red wire which says vcc1 on it you also got green = data+1, white = data-1 and black = gnd1 and same with the 2nd usb aswell. do i also need to connect to them on the mobo aswell inorder for the pc to power up if not then where can i connect them on the mobo??

Intel Standard USB header Layout: (used by over 90% of motherboards)

2. (P)(D-)(D+)(G)(KEY)
1. (P)(D-)(D+)(G) NO PIN
On bottom right side of motherbord You will see will it say in small letter front usb.

Oh and get rid of that power supply cheaply made power supplys cause problems down the line. go with Antec power supply haven't had one burn out yet. And as for why it not powering up check ram and CPU also make sure you got your power and reset button wire right.

Your right it isn't bad got dual 12v rail and very good reviews just didn't heard of them.

djrivera's completely right about the Antec power supply investment... only real company I've been able to trust in hopes my computer doesn't die from a surge or current issue (then again, I'm avoiding that problem by directly plugging my computer and monitor into the ports of a wall socket :D)

If the system turns on but then off immediately, chances are it's an overheat problem. First unplug the box. Make sure your CPU is seated and secured properly as per the manual. Then make sure that pesky Intel heatsink has all four pins depressed completely and has made correct contact with the CPU. If it's not on there just right, the gaps will allow the processor to overheat, immediately shutting down the system.

I tend to concur with "maxq" but also i woud suggest to check the thermal paste...don't allow the cpu and fan to have actual metal to metal contact.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.