I am having a problem with my Netgear adapter. My computer finds the device and says it's working properly but I can't pull up a web page when I disconnect my ethernet cable. I went into network connections and it is showing the connection as active but no ip address. When I did the setup the netgear adpter installtion wizard did not ask for ip address or linking of an ip address. What should I do ? Please help asap ! Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

but I can't pull up a web page when I disconnect my ethernet cable

If you disconnect the Ethernet cable, how do you expect to access the network?

When I did the setup the netgear adpter installtion wizard did not ask for ip address or linking of an ip address.

Thoese Ethernet installation wizards are not required to setup the adapter. You need to ensure that the adapter is recognized by the operating system and that you have the correct driver installed.

Go to Computer Management, Device Manager. Locate the adapter. Right click and uninstall. Right click the computer object in the same console and select "rescan hardware". Windows should detect the adapter and reinstall the hardware.

The default configuration of a network adapter is to automatically assign an IP address (DHCP client). For this configuration, you must have a DHCP server source, such as your Internet router.

Are there any other devices on the internal network having this issue?

Can you provide us with a link or a full name and description of your Netgear Adapter, please?

Do you have a Router?

Is your intention to connect using your ethernet cable or to connect wirelessly?

Which Operating System do you have installed on your computer? Is it a Desktop PC, Laptop, or Tablet?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.