My computer took a hard fall yesterday. All of the USB plugs that were plugged in crashed to the inside, (we can hear them shaking inside), and the monitor plug broke. (The screws came off, the plug came out, etc.)

We tried to plug in a TV screen with a hdmi plug just to make sure the computer was still working. It made the "found new hardware" sound, but nothing came on display. This is a souped up computer. It has 2 TB of memory, and all the bells and whistles. It is only a month old. It is for work, and to watch security cameras for our main office.

I took it to a computer shop to get all of the stuff fixed that broke cosmetically. Since it made the found new hardware sound, I assumed maybe the video cards, or whatever, got broke also, so those would need to be replaced as well. The shop is trying to tell me that everything is gone on the computer, it is completely wiped out.

Do you think this is the case since it was still making the sounds? I don't know much about computers, but would it make the "found new hardware" sound when the TV screen was plugged in if the system was wiped out? I'm picking it up and taking it for a second opinion, but the shop is not happy with me now and I'm afraid they will sabatoge it so I want opinions before so I have a leg to stand on if they wipe out the computer. It has all of my most recent work information on there so I really need the information that would have been stored on there. And I was very pleased with the computer itself for everything to be gone. I was a dummy and did not back everything up for the past month. I've been fighting an illness also so I've not been as completely on my game as I should be. :(

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The shop is trying to tell me that everything is gone on the computer, it is completely wiped out.

I sincerely doubt that. My suggestion would be to let them install a new small HD, and take yours out, so you can plug it back in as a second HD later. That way you can check yourself. If you have another computer at hand, you can plug it in there to check. They probably are not interested in backing it up for you.

Thank you. After talking to them I just really do not trust them. I'm taking it to another shop. I just remembered also I do have it set up for remote log in. Would I be able to remote into it even if the video cards are busted? I may try that before taking it to another shop so that I can back it up myself. Like I said previously, I do not know much about computers so sorry if that is a dumb question! :)

When things don't make sense, they are probably not true. So if this repair shop seems like they are making stuff up, go with your feelings and take it somewhere else.

If you are referring to Remote Desktop (RDP), yes you can continue to remote into the box as long as the computer boots up properly.

If the video cards simply have a problem with the external connector, that will not affect the computer's operation. If there was a prblem with the card's circuitry, that's another story.

Unfortunately, dropping a system is not covered under warranty. My advice is in any case to send it into the manufacturer for repair - you should be able to get an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) from their web site. DO NOT trust this to third parties! When fixed by the manufacturer, it will at least be covered by their own warranty for repairs - likely at least 30-90 days. If it is still fubar when you get it back, just send it back to them to fix again. Most likely, they will replace the system with a factory refurbished one in the first place.

Well when I picked it up, it is no longer making the sound "found new hardware" when we plug something in. They fixed my plugs, and so I can see on the monitor again. It says system recovery necessary. :( Does that mean all of my files are gone?

It says system recovery necessary

What is the context of that message, I mean...where do you see it? Does Windows boot up to the desktop? Try booting into safe mode as well and see if it boots stable..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.