Hi all new to the site. I've been trying to read and find a similar problem to what I'm having but can't find it. Here is the problem. For about 2 weeks now when I power my computer off, it wouldn't power back on when I hit the power button. I would have to unplug the power cord and then it would power back up. Now when i hit the power button the cpu fan works, the fan on the outer case works, but nothing else seems to work, the hd doesn't seem like its spinning. The cd and dvd drives were lighting up but wouldn't respond to trying to open or would only open half way, then after a power on and off the cd and dvd lights won't light up and won't open. I'm thinking and hoping its a power supply issue but i'm totally clueless. I haven't added anything new to the comp or moved it. There was a power surge about a month ago, so i'm hoping it didn't fry my mother board. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. My skills with a computer are moderate.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi! me too have the save trouble, please help us,

God bless!

Powersurge didn't fry your mobo, for it worked afterwards, but it did damage you PSU. That is evident. Maybe the damaged PSU done some damage to Mobo/CPU/Memory but that you will see after replacing the PSU. Advice: more watts - better.

Powersurge didn't fry your mobo, for it worked afterwards, but it did damage you PSU. That is evident. Maybe the damaged PSU done some damage to Mobo/CPU/Memory but that you will see after replacing the PSU. Advice: more watts - better.

where was there a powersurge? PSU's die all the time... esp the cheap ones. the symptom he stated is common when a psu is failing. replace the PSU and all will be fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.