When trying to start my Acer Aspire 1 netbook, I get the following: PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable PXE-MOF: exiting broadcom PXE ROM. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.
1. I am restarting this thread, there was an older one on same issue, but said too old, also I understood nothing anyone was talking about, so please talk to me in English for non computer geeks.
2. I have no such disk, nor have I ever had one.
3. I don't know what cable they are talking about.

Can anyone tell me what this means, what I can do? Is my computer trashed? I have a new computer, however I have a lot of files on that one that I would like. I it possible to get that off and transferred to new computer?
Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

It sounds like the netbook is set to boot from the Network instead of the internal hard drive. There could be a couple of reasons for this but you won't know until you get into the computers BIOS and see. I would go to the Acer support site and try looking for more information based on your actual model number and OS. But just in case I found the following information on their site for the issue on the Aspire Models listed:

This article only applies to: Aspire M3, S3, S5 and S7 series with SSD drive

After an unexpected shutdown on a system with Solid State Drive (SSD), you may see a message No bootable device -- Please restart system. This problem occurs when the table of content of the SSD is corrupted due to the unexpected shutdown. It can be corrected automatically by the SSD using the backup of its table of contents.

SOLUTION

Use the following steps to synchronize the tables of the SSD:

1.  Restart the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.  Leave the system running for approximately 15 minutes.
3.  After 15 minutes, arrow over to the Exit menu and then select Exit Saving Changes and press Enter.
    Note: Do not use the power button to exit the CMOS.
4.  Press Enter again to save changes and exit.

If the tables have resynchronized, Windows will start the next time the system is powered on.

Page Link

Agree upstair

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.