This is my first post here and all of you people seem very knowledgeable, so here it goes..

I was surfing the web, then suddenly my computer shuts completly off, like someone cut the power. I restarted my computer and windows began to load. I got all the way to my desktop then, after about a minute at my desktop it crashed the same way it did the first time. The third time I restarted it began to load the gave me a screen with these options to start with

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows in Last Know Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

I tried all of these but none seem to work. Whatever I pick it, begins to load, flickers a blue screen then restarts the entire computer. It continuously loops the cycle I described. My computer did not come with a windows installation disk, however it came with a "respawn" disk that will restore my system to factory settings. I want to know if there is a way to keep all of my old info, reinstalling everything is a huge pain in the ass. Here are my specs

Intel 3.4ghz processor
Nivida GTX 7800 256mb
2 gigs of ram
120gig HD
ASUS AV8XE motherboard.

Thank you for offering any help you can, School just started and I really need this to work.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you might want to do the ff OS repair:

- chkdsk /r (http://www.schrockinnovations.com/chkdsk.php)
- repair installation (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx)

i just hope that you are not infected with some malicious program like a virus, spyware or cracks/hacks.

good luck.

This is my first post here and all of you people seem very knowledgeable, so here it goes..

I was surfing the web, then suddenly my computer shuts completly off, like someone cut the power. I restarted my computer and windows began to load. I got all the way to my desktop then, after about a minute at my desktop it crashed the same way it did the first time. The third time I restarted it began to load the gave me a screen with these options to start with

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows in Last Know Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

I tried all of these but none seem to work. Whatever I pick it, begins to load, flickers a blue screen then restarts the entire computer. It continuously loops the cycle I described. My computer did not come with a windows installation disk, however it came with a "respawn" disk that will restore my system to factory settings. I want to know if there is a way to keep all of my old info, reinstalling everything is a huge pain in the ass. Here are my specs

Intel 3.4ghz processor
Nivida GTX 7800 256mb
2 gigs of ram
120gig HD
ASUS AV8XE motherboard.

Thank you for offering any help you can, School just started and I really need this to work.

The things you are describing requires a windows disk. My computer did come with a boot disk, but it seems to put me on a program that restores my system to factory settings. Do you think I could use that boot disk and repair from there?

my bad, you did mention that you didn't have a windows disk. if your computer has a licensed copy of windows, it should have come with a windows disk. try to request from your vendor.

if that is not possible, then your options are only limited to backing up your file (while in safemode) and running the restore disk. if im correct, running the restore disk shouldn't be that much of a pain restore disk are supposed to reinstall all software that came with your computer one time.

Sadly, my computer seem to have been missing that windows disc, all that came was the respawn disc which it says would restore my computer to factory configuration. I had also said previously that my computer wont even boot me into safe mode. I do have that boot disc which brings me to the norton ghost interface, would that be of any help?

would any windows disc work or does it have to be the one mine was installed with?

would any windows disc work or does it have to be the one mine was installed with?

Any Windows disk will work, as long as it's the same version (Windows XP). Your power supply may also be suspect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.