First of all, I would like to intoduce myself here, as this is my first post. I am a 16 year old male from Pittsburgh, PA, US. My biggest intrests in life are gaming, and hardware, so I love places like this :cheesy:. Anyway, there is one problem that has been a source of irritation for me for a long time.

Whenever I am playing a game (Halo, Warcraft III, and EQ2 seem to be the games that cause it most), at any random time, the computer will enter a hard freeze. The image on te screen will freeze, and the strange thing is, as soon as it starts to freeze, I hear some static and screeching sounds from my headphones, and it continues until I reboot via the reset button. I have good coolers on my cpu and gpu, so heat is always around 45C, so it is not a problem. Here is my current config:

Mobo: ASUS A7V8X-X
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2 gig w/ ASUS StarIce cooler
GPU: NVIDIA Gefore 6600 w/ Thermaltake Extereme Giant III cooler
RAM: 2 gigs, DDR
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Gamer

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Well, crap, dude. Sounds like we have some problems.

It appears you are more than equipped to play said games, have you read the related threads? My best advice is to read the threads at the bottom of the page that sound like what you are going through, since the guys here know a lot, but don't always get to it until around, say, one or two in the morning in your time zone.

Other than that... How's your viral status?

[EDIT] Just a Post-script: I'm pretty sure this isn't a dead machine problem, I would've put this in the Windows XP forum.

It sounds like you have enough cooling fans but is that the temperature of the CPU or graphics card?

Which BIOS version do you have on that MoBo? There seems to be an issue with AGP 8x and BIOS versions prior to 1007. Then the chipset drivers should be 4.49 or newer. Was the problem there all the time? If not, what did you change?

I checked my version and it is only 1006. I'll flash it later this evening, test things out, and see if it works. Thanks for the replies!

See if your drivers are all updated gamer dude.

Well it has been a few days now since I flashed the bios, and I have not had any more crashes. Thanks for the help!:cheesy:

Ok cool.

How to flash the bios??? Because I have the same problem :( . Please answer fast.

update ur display adapter
right click on desk top
go to properties and then go to settings
go to advanced
go to adapter
click properties then driver
click update driver
check 'yes this time only'
check 'from a specific location'
check 'dont search i'll choose driver to install'
check 'show compatible hardware'
then choose the latest update

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.