I have a biostar U8068 mobo the board was purchased as a barebone mobo, cpu, case. it has a biostar U8608 mobo, celeron 2ghz cpu all that was assembled in the case when purchased the computer booted one time and never again I have already checked most of the hardware trying to locate the source of the problem. the power lights come on the cpu fan spins the HD is working but nothing ever comes on the screen it just stays blank

the power supply is working properly
the memory is good and compatible
the cpu is seated properly and is properly coated with thermal grease

it started once and everything was fine then it would never start again I am completely lost as to what the problem could be I have read nearly all of the similar posts on this site and many others and none of the solutions given fix the problem if anyone has any ideals:idea: it would be greatly appreciated hopefully its not a bad mobo or cpu just something simple but please help:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There is a possibility the ugly end of electronics is here, whereby I mean, your motherboard isn't broken, but shorted.

"Broken" is when one lovely afternoon an unbalanced delivery of power makes the power supply... die. It also applies to when you take capentry tools to your machine to fix it, but most of us don't solve our computer issues that way.

"Shorted" is just the fact your board has something conductive touching it in a certain place. This conductive thingy makes a bridge between to points, delivering power and data where they shouldn't go. This is often not fatal. :)

Anymahoo, I strongly advise taking all your critical components; i.e. Power supply, motherboard, RAM, CPU/Heatsink, and any necessary video cards (if your machine doesn't have integrated video on the board, I mean) and set them up, outside of the case, on some foamy nonconductive stuffs. As far as powering on this barebone system, either keep the power pins (leading to the power button) connected, or use a metal conductive thing to create a temporary circuit between the power-on/off pins on the motherboard.

If the machine is plugged in appropriately, and still doesn't work, I blame your power supply or motherboard, or the compatibility of your heatsink, which may be causing a short. If possible, please interchange different parts to test out the culprit.

Now, if the thing starts up, you may want to consider a new case or clean out your case, since dust = skin, and apparently skin is conductive. Remove any screws or whatever else could be laying around but couldn't see with the motherboard up.

Let me know how it goes, I've saved a few people from buying a new board, since they learned their case had been shorting their machine all along. :D

There is a possibility the ugly end of electronics is here, whereby I mean, your motherboard isn't broken, but shorted.

"Broken" is when one lovely afternoon an unbalanced delivery of power makes the power supply... die. It also applies to when you take capentry tools to your machine to fix it, but most of us don't solve our computer issues that way.

"Shorted" is just the fact your board has something conductive touching it in a certain place. This conductive thingy makes a bridge between to points, delivering power and data where they shouldn't go. This is often not fatal. :)

Anymahoo, I strongly advise taking all your critical components; i.e. Power supply, motherboard, RAM, CPU/Heatsink, and any necessary video cards (if your machine doesn't have integrated video on the board, I mean) and set them up, outside of the case, on some foamy nonconductive stuffs. As far as powering on this barebone system, either keep the power pins (leading to the power button) connected, or use a metal conductive thing to create a temporary circuit between the power-on/off pins on the motherboard.

If the machine is plugged in appropriately, and still doesn't work, I blame your power supply or motherboard, or the compatibility of your heatsink, which may be causing a short. If possible, please interchange different parts to test out the culprit.

Now, if the thing starts up, you may want to consider a new case or clean out your case, since dust = skin, and apparently skin is conductive. Remove any screws or whatever else could be laying around but couldn't see with the motherboard up.

Let me know how it goes, I've saved a few people from buying a new board, since they learned their case had been shorting their machine all along. :D

Like the idea of running the system free of the case to test for shorts, can also see and access components easier :)

I have a similar problem here http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread60626.html
and am going to try that NOW :mrgreen:

Steve

Similar problem. I have a computer, worked fine for along time. One Night I shut it down as I do every night and now when I turn it on the fans and whta not kick on and same with the HD bit no video.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.