So I recently replaced the motherboard in my Toshiba TE-2000 Notebook. (Model PT200U-00KLU902)

The original problem with the old board had been that it would not start up. The only thing that would happen was that the green power LED would come on. Nothing else. So, all the forums and tech pages basically told me to replace the motherboard in the machine. So I did.

After the repair, the laptop came on, and booted up! But the downside to this is that its INCREDIBLY SLOW. It takes several minutes just to get Windows fully loaded, and a great deal of time to start even the simplest of programs such as notepad.

Thinking maybe it was a software problem, I formatted the HD and re-installed XP pro w/SP2, and re-installed all the Toshiba drivers as well. This didn't do anything to help. The notebook is still slower than a dead snail. Thinking perhaps the CPU that came on the new motherboard was bad, I replaced it with the CPU from the old mobo, and still no change.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be... Any help would be greatly appreciated... the machine is a nice little thing, and is generally tough as nails.. I'd like to keep it running for another year or two.. :D lol

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

How much RAM do you have, and how much space do you have on your hdd? Have you defragged the hdd since you reinstalled the OS?

How much RAM do you have, and how much space do you have on your hdd? Have you defragged the hdd since you reinstalled the OS?

It has 512MB of ram, and 34.5GB of free space. And I have defragged the HD. I'm going to change hard drives soon to see if that is the problem...

If you go to the web site of the manufacturer of your hdd they should have a diagnostic tool that you download and copy to a floppy, you boot from the floppy and it will tell you what shape the hdd is in.

What kind of hdd is it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.