Greetings to all! I have a Compaq Presario 2500. I can see all the lights go on, don't hear any beeps, it goes right into the Compaq logo and dispays "Press (Esc) to change boot order, Press <F2> for setup, Press <F12> to boot from LAN. The fan is running, no strange noises. I cannot do anything with the F11 or F10 buttons on boot attempt no matter how fast I think I am. There is no cursor, just the logo display with the choices I listed above. If I hit the F2, it goes to "Entering Setup" and then freezes. The same thing with the "Boot to LAN". If I press the escape button, a listing of the bios function comes up with information as System Ram passes (with how much memory is here), then Extended Ram passes (same thing), then CASHE SRam passed, System Bios shadowed, Video bios shadowed. I have attempted to "reset" it without solution. It will not boot from a reformat CD. I'm lost here, gang. Everything seems to be running without a hitch, it just won't boot properly. Any suggestions?

Peace and wonder,

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I have exactly the same problem, it was gradual at first, i would have to try about 6 times before it booted past the first logo screen. I would also appreciate any help.

Well, good luck getting anyone to reply.

Peace and wonder,

Hey I had the exact same problem but I fixed it. If I pressed escape and then let it do all of the bios stuff I got a screen that let me choose a boot device, so I chose Hard Drive. From there it all booted fine so I figured there was a problem with boot order I went into the bios options when it started (F2) and went to the last tab and chose Load Defaults. Then I saved the bios, exited, and restarted and all was good. Hope it helps!

I did that, but when I press F2, it just says "Entering Setup..." and then hangs there. It never goes any further. Thank you for responding though! I thought I had just been forgotten.

Peace and wonder,
Katlaya

Hey I had the exact same problem but I fixed it. If I pressed escape and then let it do all of the bios stuff I got a screen that let me choose a boot device, so I chose Hard Drive. From there it all booted fine so I figured there was a problem with boot order I went into the bios options when it started (F2) and went to the last tab and chose Load Defaults. Then I saved the bios, exited, and restarted and all was good. Hope it helps!

Same prob here, Im thinking its the HD going on the outs. Do you have a HD noise that is very rythmic and then just stops? When removed this hard drive has a slight rattle. But I've read where that rattle

SOLVED MY PROBLEM-----
I have the same problem and have been trying to fix it for 3 hours . now I have turn the LAPTOP on its back there's a screw for the CD drive (has a CD logo close to the screw) take it out then pull on the CD drive (no need to open the pc up) and turn the pc on . This worked for me . i dont know if theres a fault with the cd drive or if the bios needs to be changed but it worked and im sure you can check the bios now

sonny lloyd

I have seen some computer with the same problem caused by USB device like the USB HDD that connected to the computer while powering on.
And the screen will pass to the system boot like XP logo when the USB HDD finish scanning.

Try resetting the laptop by removing the battery and unplug the power cord, then pressing the power button over 15 seconds do not let go to discharge and reset the laptop.

Hope this helps you.
Bill
Tech manager

Get it checked by a company person. It seems if you have a problem with the bios then it needs to be repaired rather than find quick fix solutions.

this is so cool. I hav been podering and fiddlin for ages n now i got all these little tips. I've already macgyvered the av adaptor to the mother board so dont wanna give up on my heritageaptop... We've been thru so much. Thanks 2 all 4 these tips. This thread has a mature age so i hope there's somethin or a combo of these solutions that may thaw my aging arthritic notebook.

I just had the same issue as detailed in previous messages after I had applied a Windows update and restarted my laptop [Compaq NX9105]:
- Booting up only got as far as the start of the bios where the screen shows the f2, f10, and boot from LAN options.
- Pressing ESC just took me to a hanged memory and processor check screen.
- Couldn't change the boot order to boot from a Windows disk

I was about to pull out my HDD to force a boot from CD when I realised I had my Andriod phone plugged in through a USB port. The laptop was confused as it was seeing the mounted memory card as another HDD because I hadn't unmounted it before rebooting so it was automatically remounting when the laptop powered up.

I pulled out the USB cable to my phone and the laptop booted instantly.

Thanks to the post from PCTestCard.

Gabe.

This is common of aging compaq Presarios' with processors that have pin and a socket made up of a screw-like lock. they halt but if you press the processor hard they will contineu working...

I had this exact issue with the Presario 2500, replaced the HD and everything is fine now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.