Hi,

I was wondering if there is a DVD based guide to building you own pc from scratch instead of the regular boring books and large manuals. So that one can just watch it and learn the basics without much fuss. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try googling "how to build a computer", there are a whole slew of articles that a fairly short and easy to understand.

Try googling "how to build a computer", there are a whole slew of articles that a fairly short and easy to understand.

Thanks for the reply, but am looking for something that my brother can use basically as he is interested in building pcs on his own and he prefers something useful on a dvd if possible. There are many videos on the net and I can find them but he is not much interested in them. Thanks any ways though.

very good bok. Its up to date (has 64 bit, sata, pci-x and so on) and details both regular and special (e.g small form factor pcs) - has loads of full page diagrams and howtos

[EDIT]: This is written as if I'm talking to your brother.

Mate, I really wouldn't bother with DVD's: all you need is an internet connection, maybe a couple computer mags (jbennet's book might help also, I don't know), and, preferably a friend who has some experience inside PC's (I had some help putting my rig together, but I'm pretty sure you could do without: it'll just take longer. Just read all the instructions and be sure to earth yourself on some pipes or whatever every now and again). Just a piece of advice: read through your manuals etc. so you know what you'll need to connect/screw in and when, and do as much as possible before the motherboard goes into the case. But, say you need to put a bolt through the motherboard, but if you put the GFX card in first it'll be hard to get your hand round it, then maybe leave the card for later, etc.

If you mention you're building a PC to your mates, they seem to think that it'll be impossible: it isn't. I sure showed them... :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.