OK here's my problem. I have a six month old PC. An Antec SLK1650 BQE case with a 350W power supply. An Asus M2N-E NF 570 Ultra (S-AM2) DDR2 Dualcore. 1024 ram. a GeForce PX7300GS Video card, and an Western Digital 320 gb Hard drive.

Today I noticed that there was a funny sound coming from the back of the computer. Kind of a high pitched whine I had never heard before (kind of like there was a problem with the power supply). (This machine had always been so quiet compared to my old Dell Dimension 8200). Because of the sound I decided to reboot. It booted, and then made the sound again, so I powered down and let it sit for a few minutes. I went to turn it on and I couldn't get the power button to do anything. The light to my Internal multi-card reader is green when the power is on. I get no fan action, and when I turn the power on ast the power bar nothing happens on the machine. (the fan blades on all fans spin when you turn them with your finger) When the power is on the light on the mother board just behind my TV tuner card is on however. Any ideas out there? I will take it into the shop first thing tomorrow, but the owner is not the friendliest of people and assumes you are a complete idiot if you ask a simple question, so I would like to go in with some idea of what to suggest.

Also could it be the Hard drive. This is my worst fear as I have about three weeks of un-backed-up work there that I absolutley need to get off.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I think is the power supply, if you do have another one around connect it in the computer just to check it

Sounds like a faulty Power Supply problem to me...

Do the fans spin at all when you first try to power it on.??

Regards

yes or maybe you have overheated the cpu?

i killed a self-built pc of my own. Those dual cores need huge amounts of cooling

Yep, youll have to check with another power supply and work from there to look what isnt working, but it isnt the hard drive [good news to you :)]

The fans do absolutely nothing when I try to power it on. I push the on button and nothing happens. No fans, no beeps, nothing!

Sounds like a faulty Power Supply problem to me...

Do the fans spin at all when you first try to power it on.??

Regards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.