I own a computer that for no reason at all, will just shut off. What will happen is that when I am doing something on my computer, such as playing a game or browsing this website, my computer will suddenly turn off. I can't turn it back on from the front after it turns off, I have to go to the back, turn the power supply switch off, then turn it back on. After doing that, I can turn my computer back on from the front. Sometimes, it dosen't do this at all. Can someone help me?

Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Hard Drive: 100GB

Memory: 512MB

Video Card: Nividia GeForce FX 5200

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Open the case, check the compactors to make sure that they have flat tops and are not leaking or bubbling up. (if you do not know what a capactor is, it looks like a very small battery and they are all over your motherboard)

http://profesanxenxo.iespana.es/electrical/capacitor.jpg

Make sure the heatsink is on the CPU correclty because random reboots can mean heat issues. Lastly, if your Graphics card has a fan on it, make sure its turning, and the capacators on it are in good condition as well.

Well, I opened by PC. Everything looked fine, but there was a ton of dust. So, I cleaned it out, and now my computer works fine.

Thank you for youtr help :cheesy:

yeah sounded to me like overheating, probably caused by the dust.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.