I have an acer 4504Lmi. It wouldn't start, went through steps, ordered a motherboard last night. I have one concern however. I have read in a few places that a virus can damage your motherboard. Is this true? I don't want to replace the motherboard and put my hard drive in and the same thing happens. Can you check somehow? BTW I had Norton System Works on my computer and it did find some virus's before the macing went down. I took care of the ones it found. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have an acer 4504Lmi. It wouldn't start, went through steps, ordered a motherboard last night. I have one concern however. I have read in a few places that a virus can damage your motherboard. Is this true? I don't want to replace the motherboard and put my hard drive in and the same thing happens. Can you check somehow? BTW I had Norton System Works on my computer and it did find some virus's before the macing went down. I took care of the ones it found. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

As far as I have ever known they cannot damage a mobo unless there are some code maniacs out there that can make the platters jump out of the case and onto the board:lol: , but some can however damage your hard drive in one sense by affecting various aspects of your OS and sometimes the MBR.

Some preventative maintenance is always a good idea though, run virus scans and update your definitions atleast once a week. Defragmentation is also a good habit to get into usually at bare minimum once every one-two months (depending on how much you download/delete/move/etc.)

You have two problems going into replacing your motherboard, first is the possibility that you have infections on the hdd, and second is that you are going to have a potential big problem installing the new motherboard with the old hdd.

If you have infections they will be on the hard drive, if you are going to be installing this with another motherboard than what you are already using (this means the same chip set) it may be to you advantage to wipe the hdd and reinstall the OS. This will take care of two problems at the same time, it will get rid of the infections, and problem of installing a hdd with a new motherboard with a different chip set. The hdd has recognized the chip set and drivers from the old motherboard, and when you try to install it to another motherboard it confuses the heck out of it. Some times the hdd will recover, other times it will not. For the record...mine didn't survive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.