I have a Sony VIAO laptop PCG-F690K with a dead CD/DVD drive. Just wont read anything anymore. Bought a replacement, but nowhere can I find how to install it. Instructions I have start with knowing how to take the keyboard off, first. Called Sony and I discover answers are in their Service Manual, part #987214811 -- but it is 2 months back ordered - LOL!
Anybody out there who can help me? I am an old Clipper-head and pc builder from the 80s-90s but never did laptops (for good reasons :-) )

Mucho appreciado.
Barry

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

keyboards are usually screwed down at the very top of the keyboard and the screws are hidden under a faceplate. if it looks like there is a removable faceplate above the keyboard, try prying it up.

don't put too much pressure on the faceplate, sometimes they are screwed down in the back/underneath or have something else securing them.

this is just how a good chunk of laptops are designed, probably about 50-60% i'd say. Sometimes they are secured with screws from the bottom, apple secures some of theirs with screws under keys, hidden by stickers.

all you can do sometimes is tinker with them and remember what you took out of where.

commented: excellent attempt to help +1

Thanks, Chewie. When I came up with more parts than I put back in, is when I stopped tinkering with laptops, in 1993 :cheesy: :cheesy: thanks for you help and I do see a screw on the left side of the Vaio which appears to hold down the "faceplate" part which covers the speakers and start/sleep button. I will try it.
BarryG

keyboards are usually screwed down at the very top of the keyboard and the screws are hidden under a faceplate. if it looks like there is a removable faceplate above the keyboard, try prying it up.

don't put too much pressure on the faceplate, sometimes they are screwed down in the back/underneath or have something else securing them.

this is just how a good chunk of laptops are designed, probably about 50-60% i'd say. Sometimes they are secured with screws from the bottom, apple secures some of theirs with screws under keys, hidden by stickers.

all you can do sometimes is tinker with them and remember what you took out of where.

Hi Chewie
I did get the faceplate off. I can bend the KB back about an inch but I dont want to force it. Seems like something is holding down from the center bottom. Or maybe it needs to just be yanked out slowly?
Your advice? I dont see any screws on the bottom which may be doing it at that point.
thanks.

Thanks, Chewie. When I came up with more parts than I put back in, is when I stopped tinkering with laptops, in 1993 :cheesy: :cheesy: thanks for you help and I do see a screw on the left side of the Vaio which appears to hold down the "faceplate" part which covers the speakers and start/sleep button. I will try it.
BarryG

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.