I am having an issue with my computer starting up. It will power up, I hear the hard drives spinning, the fans all come on including the CPU fan. But I get no visual, no beeps. I tried to wait out around 5 min or so to see if it is going through it's startup process which would cause my mouse and keyboard to light up once in Windows at the login screen, but it never did that.

I tried to test a different monitor, a different graphics card and all variations between. I don't see the power signal inside the motherboard light up as it normally does. I secured all connections and made sure everything was as it should be. I came across the 12v power cord and when I unplugged it to look at it, it looked somewhat burnt brown on 2 of the sockets but the other two were not. Does this mean my Power Supply or Motherboard burnt out or is it something else entirely?

I am not sure what else to test to see what the problem is. Could someone assist me please?

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

UPDATE: PC Powers On, No Display, No Beeps, Nothing

I have had this PC for around 2 years now, the base items I have acquired from Directron (Motherboard, Memory, Processor, Case). Over the last two years I have only made a few upgrades (Video Card, more Memory, Hard Drive). Most recently, I had to replace a dying fan stationed at the back of my PC (Thermaltake TT-1225).

The night prior to the issue starting, I was using the computer to play World of Warcraft than later Starcraft. I shut down the machine and went to bed. When I returned to start it up again, I encountered the problem.

Computer Specs:
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz Processor
4gb RAM Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT x 4
PNY Technologies GeForce 6600 256MB DDR Graphics Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card
Thermaltake X Silent Purepower 560w Power Supply

My computer will power up, all the fans will work, the hard drives power up as well. The CPU fan even spins. But I get no display and no beeps at all. I wait 5 or so minutes to see if my computer is going through its start up process and is reaching Windows which usually triggers my mouse and keyboard to light up. It did not reach this point and the only way I can power off the machine is by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.

I tested my current monitor and video card (normal arrangement), as well as tested one of the current with an older monitor and older video card, still same problem. No visual, no beeps, nothing.

I don't see the power light, lighting up on the motherboard as it normally does which leads me to think it is a Power Supply or Motherboard issue. I have checked all the connections and tried to load with and without pieces of hardware (Hard Drives, CD Drives, Sound Card), and no matter what I get the same results.

I tested a bare bone power up (Motherboard, Processor, 1 Memory Module, Power Supply, and Video Card), and still encountered the same issue. Upon inspection of cords and their input connectors, I noticed the 12v connector seems like it might have been burnt on 2 of it's 4 sockets. 2 of them look browned as if burnt and the other 2 look fine. I checked the motherboard connector for the 12v an it doesn’t seem like it is burnt but doesn’t seem like it would have been by the shade of the brown on the inside of the power connector.

This is the part hat has me confused. I don’t believe it to be a Power Supply issue when everything powers up when plugged into it. So I am thinking it is Motherboard or Processor since even in its bare bone form it gives the same issue. Now if it turns out to be an issue with the motherboard or Processor, will I still need to replace the power supply as well due to that 12v plug looking burnt on the inside of the plastic casing?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Unplug the four-pin connector from the board completely, and then try to turn on the computer again. If you get the exact same response, this could very well be the problem and you should look into a new PSU.

just because a computer appears to be recieving power does not always mean that it is working properly. I had a computer the other day that was doing the same thing so i whipped out my favorite PSU test and sure enough it showed as faulty replaces the PSU and sure enough the computer runs fine now.

my psu is in good codition then also no display on the monitor . Is it a problem of hardware like Ram,Motherboad,Processor or other problem
send reply

PC Powers On, No Display, No Beeps, Nothing

my psu, Ram, Processoris in good codition then also no display on the monitor .

I had this same issue.
The P4 connector supplies 12v power to the mobo to power the processor. My PC also had this connection fail and the plastic near the two yellow 12v leads looked brown or a little burnt.
The simple and effective fix is to get a molex to P4 adapter that will let you pick up 12v power from a spare IDE drive power connector. Simply plug the molex end to a spare drive connector and the P4 end replaces your existing P4 connector.
Over time many people have experienced that this P4 connector deteriorates and becomes loose and unreliable.
If you can get your pc up and running with the case open, try jiggling this 4-wire lead to your mobo. If wiggling it trips your pc, you need a new connector. You can replace your power supply as many with this issue have done - but that is an expensive way to replace a 50 cent connector.
The molex to P4 adapters are readily available (meaning there has been demand for them) and cheap - from less than a buck to 5 bucks.
When I installed mine I was amazed at how much more tightly the new connector fit, it was even a little difficult to push into place, meaning. I was than able to wiggle the connector and pull on it and no more trips. PC runs great.
If you have pc trips and see that this P4 connector feels loose or the plastic has turned a little brown - go get a molex to P4 adapter and cheaply fix your issue.
Hope this helps!

pls check and replaced +12v chocket

pls replaced =12v chocket

can i have somebody to help me out

ok there is solution to every problem

Where are you, I will try and direct you to an exit. You had better hurry as I might get lost and need someone to help me get out.

my psu is in good codition then also no display on the monitor . Is it a problem of hardware like Ram,Motherboad,Processor or other problem
send reply

the vga card is nt doin or maybe the monitor is dead

Going in reverse order of expense, I would first replace the power supply with another. You are using a lot of juice and I would not be surprised that the psu gave up the ghost. Then there is the possibility that your cpu has died. I had exactly these symptoms in the past and had to replace the cpu which had overheated and died. Then there is the mob. Start with thoroughly testing or replacing the power supply. If the psu isn't the problem you can probably return it to where you purchased it and be out nothing except possibly a restocking fee.

the vga card is nt doin or maybe the monitor is dead

Then there is the mob.

I must be in the right thread, I am insane and i think everyone else here is also. No wonder the earlier poster wanted to get out...

If you have a problem that you would like some assistance with, please start yoyr own thread and supply a lot of information about your machine and OS as well as what the exact problem is. When it started, did you download or install or uninstall anything...etc...

try to clean the pins of memory card with eraser,

I am having an issue with my computer starting up. It will power up, I hear the hard drives spinning, the fans all come on including the CPU fan. But I get no visual, no beeps. I tried to wait out around 5 min or so to see if it is going through it's startup process which would cause my mouse and keyboard to light up once in Windows at the login screen, but it never did that.

I tried to test a different monitor, a different graphics card and all variations between. I don't see the power signal inside the motherboard light up as it normally does. I secured all connections and made sure everything was as it should be. I came across the 12v power cord and when I unplugged it to look at it, it looked somewhat burnt brown on 2 of the sockets but the other two were not. Does this mean my Power Supply or Motherboard burnt out or is it something else entirely?

I am not sure what else to test to see what the problem is. Could someone assist me please?

Check your motherboard light if it is on then restart computer and check display of board by press del or f2 key if display come then unplug the hard disk wire & plug. if not give display in both case then check your motherboard with the help of component eng.

Come on people. Open your eyes and read the **** post dates. The OP posted two and a half years ago! Probably has a whole new system now.

this is the same issues that i experience no display,no beeps
this is a motherboard problem,
so try to replace the motherboard,,
:)Bold Text Here

Sounds like graphics card problem. Try to change the cable (rgb)

commented: Sure, maybe the OP will try this - five years later. -3

my pc is over voltage, what should do?

Need more information than that.
What is over-volting?
How do you know?

I Have The same problem in my desktop compuer please help me resolve it. i already paid too much for this but there is no positive result. please help me what should i do to resolve it permently.

my cpu doe'nt gives dispaly to mine moniter and gives display to another one and monitor is in good condition
what i have to do?

This thread is a study of human nature in a bottle. :D

Its been 6 months and my puppy isn't potty trained yet. Is the leash to long, too short, WTF? Someonehelp....now!!

did you try to change the power supply of your pc?
is it working or not?

I have the same problem. No beeps like it usually does. No display. I have tried what I know and it still did not work.

can you change it opn the back of the power supply

I know this is a dead thread but I wanted to confirm Ferrai's advice worked for me for any future readers.

I had similar PC issues like the OP, only the GPU and CPU were powered of which by fans were working.

Everything else was not, computer wouldn't beep or get past post. There would be no signal on screen, mouse, keyboard and DVD drives were dead.

Following advice on the website geekstogo it was suggested for CMOS removal. I removed the CMOS battery for about one minute and put it back there after.

Whilst the battery was unplugged, I then removed the RAM sticks and sprayed the sockets with compressed air. From there I switched the RAM sticks around so what was my #1 RAM was then placed in the socket where its sibling lived and vice versa.

I powered up the machine with just GPU, CPU and 1 stick of RAM connected. Some how I got post. Turned machine off and placed 2nd stick of RAM in machine - again got post and repeated the last step adding another bit of hardware as I went - HDD, HDD2, DVD drive etc. In the end the whole computer was reconnected and managed to get back up and running.

When windows was loaded my volume slider and network icon was missing, but in the end this rectified itself by restarting.

For me it was not a PSU or Mobo issue (thank god). I'm not sure what it was exactly but the 2 methods above saved me big time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.