Hi a newbie here. Acer 2010 with 2 x 512mb, will not start, gets continuous beep during POST and no further. Fan runs for a moment, no screen display, LED light remain on. Tried to swap the two memory slots, tried with one mem card, same problem. Tried both ac power and battery, same results. Could it be both mem cards are faulty, or perhaps p/supply problem in the MOBO. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

PSU prob. would be my first guess. Did you try another?
If needed, clean CPU cooling fins.

hi, it could be that both of your memory card is faulty..

Hi,
Thanks your email. This is a laptop and the power supply is an integral part of the motherboard. I did check the voltage on the memory boards pins and they seemed to be in spec. Cooling fan is also clean.
Thanks anyway.

PSU prob. would be my first guess. Did you try another?
If needed, clean CPU cooling fins.

Hi,
Thanks your reply. I did try both the memory cards on another laptop and both work fine.
Thanks.

hi, it could be that both of your memory card is faulty..

sorry.....but i'm not familiar with Acer laptops.....however, i reccommend that you get the manual and they should have a couple pages on 'Beep Codes'. Each motherboard may be unique in the sound that is used to specify whats wrong. Is your bios updated? If you've check the inside of your laptop (hard-ware as was in the previous posts)....when did you start having this problem and how long u had the laptop?

Hi,
Thanks your email. Regret the manual does not cover POST problems. Bios has not been updated. My problem seem to be memory related, hence I believe the continuous beep. I had this laptop for about two years, out of warranty of course. Problem started about three months ago.

sorry.....but i'm not familiar with Acer laptops.....however, i reccommend that you get the manual and they should have a couple pages on 'Beep Codes'. Each motherboard may be unique in the sound that is used to specify whats wrong. Is your bios updated? If you've check the inside of your laptop (hard-ware as was in the previous posts)....when did you start having this problem and how long u had the laptop?

Before reseating the memory module, just clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Reseat it several times, dirt from dimm socket is the common cause of the computer failure.

Try to clean and reseat everything inside the pc to check for loose connection.

I have cleaned the contacts with an ink eraser several times. I suspect a faulty solder connection on one of the 200 pins on the SODIMM memory sockets. Thanks.

Before reseating the memory module, just clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Reseat it several times, dirt from dimm socket is the common cause of the computer failure.

Try to clean and reseat everything inside the pc to check for loose connection.

Try to reset your cmos settings through the cmos battery. If the problem pertains to dimm socket you will need a new motherboard.

I did reset CMOS settings by disconnecting the CMOS battery, same results. Conclusion, replacement motherboard required. Thanks for your help.

Try to reset your cmos settings through the cmos battery. If the problem pertains to dimm socket you will need a new motherboard.

You're welcome! Good luck...

I have cleaned the contacts with an ink eraser several times. I suspect a faulty solder connection on one of the 200 pins on the SODIMM memory sockets. Thanks.

I did all the above and then by chance I pushed down a little stedy and hard on start button and laptop started up like it should. I don't mean take out a hammer and pound on it but try it and see if this will work for you. Must be a bad button or a well kept secret.
Good luck!!!!!

I have a ACER laptop and the same thing started happening a month ago as well. I discovered that if I have an ipod plugged in or a cd or dvd in the slot, it will not start. As soon as I disconnect it or remove the cd/dvd it starts without a problem....I know it sounds strange but try it and let me know.

Hi, i wonder if anyone can help me with this, my laptop cant start but the LED's are working. But before this, the blue screens occurred many times while i am working then the laptop will suddenly restart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.