hey there, im a new person here...
anywho.
I have a Medion M³ director 4500
In January, I had a problem where I woke up, in the morning (I had left my computer on all night) and the screen was frozen, even the date and time was frozen, so I did a reboot. Nothing was being sent to the monitor. I tested it with another monitor, and nothing was being sent either. So I went to the store and bought a new video card, came home, put it in, and everything went fine.
This time, The same thing happened, came home put it in, and it didnt work. Nothing happened.

When I start the computer, the fans turn on full blast, but never slow down. No beeping, no nothing. The hard drive is running, I can feel it spinning, the cd-rom drives will open and close, but cds are not read if I put one in. There is no display, nothing is being sent to the monitor. I took out the RAM sticks and put them back in, to make sure they were in good and tight, still nothing.

I have no idea what could be wrong, or how to deal with it, my knowledge is pretty basic with the hardware of computers.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How old is your motherboard? It sounds like it might be part of the issue if not all of it.

How old is your motherboard? It sounds like it might be part of the issue if not all of it.

almost 2 years

(thank you so much for replying!)

Yeah that motherboard seems pretty old.

Some of the symptoms sound like they are chipset related (north and south bridge).

At this point I would say try the video card in a different computer, maybe a friend's computer or a different one you own, and see if you get a video signal from it. If you do, you can cross the video off the list. Then I would try the memory, since video cards don't usually display without memory installed and detected. If you are able to test the memory on another machine that would be ideal. Other than that, your motherboard sounds suspect, and I would recommend an upgrade (2 years is a long time!)

Some other people might have some valuable input on here, however, so you might want to wait a while before trying anything rash, like pounding your mobo with a hammer or something.

Yeah that motherboard seems pretty old.

Some of the symptoms sound like they are chipset related (north and south bridge).

At this point I would say try the video card in a different computer, maybe a friend's computer or a different one you own, and see if you get a video signal from it. If you do, you can cross the video off the list. Then I would try the memory, since video cards don't usually display without memory installed and detected. If you are able to test the memory on another machine that would be ideal. Other than that, your motherboard sounds suspect, and I would recommend an upgrade (2 years is a long time!)

Some other people might have some valuable input on here, however, so you might want to wait a while before trying anything rash, like pounding your mobo with a hammer or something.

haha 2 years is old? Really? wow!
I thought that was pretty new...ha
When I bought my computer it was top of the line, so I have been told. I was going to test the motherboard, but the hookup to my computer is a sata, and the only other computer in the house is a 5 year old dell, and doesnt support anything from my computer. POOP, yes

Well I could be wrong about it being old; some people still use systems from the 3-5 years ago. but I usually upgrade pretty often because I play computer games. It might not be so much that your motherboard is old, but that it's just developed a problem and it has gotten worse.

geez, this is terrible. I can not find a motherboard for my computer anywhere.
Even the tech guy said that he had never seen a setup like mine. He told me to just go and buy a cheap computer and transfer everything from my computer to the new one, because I would have to get a motherboard imported.
He doesnt actually know whats wrong with it though...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.