Hey guys.

I received my new Alienware M9750 Notebook yesterday, and when I initially plugged it in, it would not turn on, and there was no LED lit (on the computer, adapter is fine) indicating the machine was plugged in.

I called support, and they informed me to remove the battery and the power connection from the computer, hold the power button down for a minute, plug the power back in, and start the machine, which worked, as once I plugged it in, I saw the LED light for power go on.

After the machine was running for a few minutes and I got Windows and everything all set up, support told me to turn off the computer, put the battery back in, and to leave it charging.

Today I tried to start the machine up, but I'm back to the same problem I started with, the machine won't start at all, and there is no LED light on indicating the machine is plugged in.

I called support, and they simply told me to just send the machine back. However, I'm stubborn and impatient, and want to get this problem fixed without having to wait for the entire process of shipping it to support, waiting for them to fix it, and waiting for it to be shipped back.

Suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I'm no expert on it, but something must be wrong with the power from the battery and the adaptor. (Broken link maybe?)
I know that when I plug my Armada M700 in it does not have a light turn on at all on the actual laptop (Which it should) but my adaptor does work.
Perhaps what needs to be done is repeat what you already did, leave the laptop on and let it charge up to full, then shut it down and restart without the ac adaptor plugged in.
Then we will know if the problem lies within the battery or not.

Perhaps what needs to be done is repeat what you already did, leave the laptop on and let it charge up to full, then shut it down and restart without the ac adaptor plugged in.
Then we will know if the problem lies within the battery or not.

Probably shoulda mentioned in OP, but I have tried to repeat the power cycle process, and it does not work like it did on my original attempt. So there is no way for my notebook to power up right now, with the battery in or out, plugged in or not.

If there is no LED light on the computer indicating it is plugged in, is it safe to assume the battery is not charging?

hi fragfighter, much better you send it back..it would be hard for you if your set is not under warranty..then ask them to check properly.

okay, firstly, try to reseat your memory sticks. Start your computer.

If the problem still persists, you will need to reset the cmos.

Remove the main battery.
Remove the bottom cover.
Find the CMOS battery. Unplug it for a few minutes then put it back again.

See attached pictures below...

Be sure you don't have a raid configuration in your system. I don't know if this process will also be covered or accepted by the manufacturer warranty policy.

If the problem persists, send your computer to an authorized service center for further evaluation.

okay, firstly, try to reseat your memory sticks. Start your computer.

If the problem still persists, you will need to reset the cmos.

Remove the main battery.
Remove the bottom cover.
Find the CMOS battery. Unplug it for a few minutes then put it back again.

See attached pictures below...

Be sure you don't have a raid configuration in your system. I don't know if this process will also be covered or accepted by the manufacturer warranty policy.

If the problem persists, send your computer to an authorized service center for further evaluation.

the laptop is a day old send it back before you void your warranty,a lemon tastes bitter the first bite!! you got a lemon

If there is no LED light on the computer indicating it is plugged in, is it safe to assume the battery is not charging?

The computer may still be charging, or it may be just plain ruining your battery.
Most laptops only charge when they are on; at other times they are just "obsorbing" energy.
If a laptop is left plugged in, chances are the battery won't be any good.
I'm not sure what the technical terms for this are.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.