Okay, I've tried about everything I can think of and I am at my wits end.

Here's the situation:

My microphone on my headset is not working. Yes, it is plugged in, and no... it is not muted. 8-) It is apparently picking up only digital sounds (or sounds that I can hear in my ear pieces), but will not pick up my voice.

I believe it has to be a setting... previously it would never transmit the sounds I hear, but only my voice... now it transmits the sounds I hear, but not my voice.

Please help if you've ever encountered this!

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

hello, Ok so you are hearing stuff out of your headset? but just not your voice.

Your microphone is picking up something but not your voice?

hello, Ok so you are hearing stuff out of your headset? but just not your voice.

Your microphone is picking up something but not your voice?

For instance:

I use a program called ventril (or Vent) for voice communications with my friends. If I hold the key down that is bound as a hotkey to talk in Ventrilo, they can hear the things I hear in my earphones, but not anything I say.

The sound they are hearing is NOT picking up with the microphone (i.e. it's not minorly picking up sound from the background), they're hearing the sounds I hear as if THEY were listening to my earphones.

Also, as a test, I used sound recorder on my computer. It does not register I am talking... but if someone is talking into my earphones on my head... it registers their sound.

It almost seems as though it's outputting no analog sound and only digital. But I'm NOT an expert...

Have you tried recording a wav file to make sure that it is recording? Right click on the desktop, select new then "Wave Sound". Right click on that and select record, then on the new window that pops up, hit the red circle to record, and talk into the Mic and see if it registering the sound from your voice.

Have you tried recording a wav file to make sure that it is recording? Right click on the desktop, select new then "Wave Sound". Right click on that and select record, then on the new window that pops up, hit the red circle to record, and talk into the Mic and see if it registering the sound from your voice.

Yes, I stated this in my previous post:

"Also, as a test, I used sound recorder on my computer. It does not register I am talking... but if someone is talking into my earphones on my head... it registers their sound."

You could also try other software, such as Audacity. I think the cause of this issue is down to drivers. Is this a USB Mic & Headset or does it use the Mic & Headphone jacks?

You could also try other software, such as Audacity. I think the cause of this issue is down to drivers. Is this a USB Mic & Headset or does it use the Mic & Headphone jacks?

It uses the Mic & Headphone jacks.

it is a Creative HS-600

Go into Control Panel ==> Speech, is there a tab called Speech Recognition? This is used preliminary for speech to text recognition on Word for example but you can use it to adjust the volume for the Mic. Try to go through the wizard to see if it registers your voice.
What you can also try is doing the following:
Control Panel ==> Sounds & Audio Devices ==> Voice Tab ==> Test Hardware button. This will then show you a wizard, please follow the steps as it advises.

Go into Control Panel ==> Speech, is there a tab called Speech Recognition? This is used preliminary for speech to text recognition on Word for example but you can use it to adjust the volume for the Mic. Try to go through the wizard to see if it registers your voice.
Control Panel ==> Sounds & Audio Devices ==> Voice Tab ==> Test Hardware button. This will then show you a wizard, please follow the steps as it advises.

Thanks, thought I'd gone through all of this... but it's working.

No worries, happy to help :)

I was having the exact same problems with my microphone after I downloaded new drivers. I did the test hardware and now I can speak in Ventrilo and I don't transmit what i hear from my headphones. However, now when ever I tap my mic or talk (without holding down my button to speak in Vent) I hear the sound in my headphones. Thanks for any help you can give.

Are you able to record a WAV file? Go onto your desktop, right click -> New -> Wave Sound. Then right click onto that and select 'Record' Then a small window should appear, press the Red circle for record and talk into your Mic. You should see the green wave form move up and down depending on how loud you are talking. Then stop it and play it back. If your voice has recorded your Mic is working correctly, if it has not recorded please follow my advice in Post 8:

Hope This helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.