HeY All,

this is actaully my first post on this site....new member, I've been researching for a while now on trying to find suitable sensors for motion detection...and I dont want really expensive stuff...just something simple and cheap! I'm unable to find simple yet informative stuff!!

I'm trying to build a simple system that gives the user (sitting infront of the PC) an exercise workout, so basically I need a group of sensors surrounding the user then a few simple exercise routines will be displayed on the monitor for the user 2 carry out..like stretch ur left arm sideways, punch forwards, etc. the sensors detect the movement has been carried out then sends a signal through the parallel port of the PC as either a 1 or 0 indicating whther the movement has been carried out or not and then the next exercise step is displayed and so on. I'm not sure whthere infrared sensors would be suitable 4 a project like this? The sensors dont have to detect things light distance, height etc...just that movement has occured and also the time..like how fast the movement was carried out in. I don't want to have to do too much programming either! and would anybody know if I would have to actually write a program for the sensors? can that be done in c++ or does it have 2 be low-level language like assembly?

If anybody could give me some useful info like a specific sensors model, manufacturer or useful sites, a backbone program or anything else of use that could help me get this thing started it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks In Advance 2 anyone who tries ;)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Infrared LEDS and sensors might be a less costly alternative that modifying an existing product

We(I am) are talking about modifying security software to his needs

They wear a belt that has infrared sensors that track all movement (up/down, back/forward). All the while, the client gets an exciting aerobic workout that provides real-time performance feedback.

During any exercise, keep the customer focused on proper form and technique as it relates to improving function and preventing injury. If you can do this while keeping the program fun and entertaining, you are conquering one of the biggest hurdles that prevents results - inconsistent attendance. There is no better advertising than a customer who has received great results.
We are talking $10,000(USD) +plus OR 14.1123 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS (AUD)
I should be charging you money for this I got more info $

I'm trying to build a simple system that gives the user (sitting infront of the PC) an exercise workout, so basically I need a group of sensors surrounding the user then a few simple exercise routines will be displayed on the monitor for the user 2 carry out..like stretch ur left arm sideways, punch forwards, etc. the sensors detect the movement has been carried out then sends a signal through the parallel port of the PC as either a 1 or 0 indicating whther the movement has been carried out or not and then the next exercise step is displayed and so on. I'm not sure whthere infrared sensors would be suitable 4 a project like this? The sensors dont have to detect things light distance, height etc...just that movement has occured and also the time..like how fast the movement was carried out in. I don't want to have to do too much programming either! and would anybody know if I would have to actually write a program for the sensors? can that be done in c++ or does it have 2 be low-level language like assembly?

You are going about this sorta backwards. A better approach would be low-res wide-angle USB webcam since you know that the user is going to be in front of the monitor within limited parameters. It's passive, cheap, easy to implement, and has multiple uses. Motion capture is easy. There is free, open-source software available that might be adaptable to your needs (from a very quick search): http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmotiondetect
and an inexpensive framework for the exercise part: http://www.sidespace.com/products/stretch
it seems like this would be relatively easy to put together in a functional way--most of the work has already been done...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.