I have a Brother HL-1440 laser printer in an office. The toner cartridge was just recently changed, and now the print is lighter with the new toner cartridge than with the old one.

Initially the drum light was yellow, I fixed that by reseting the page counter after changing the new catridge, that light is now green.

I checked the printer properties to see that no toner saving settings were turned on.

This leads me to one of 2 conclusions, the new toner cartrige is bad, or the drum needs to be replaced. With all things, money is the bottom line, and laser printer parts can be expensive. Which part do you think the problem is?

Brother toner cartridge run for about 50 bucks, drums for about 150, and a new printer is 170-200. If it is the drum, I'd be better off getting a new printer.

The printer was purchased in August of 2003. The toner has been changed 4 times since then, every 4-5 months:
Dec 2003
May 2004
September 2004
January 2005

So you never changed the drum right? If not, then it is 99% likely it is the drum. Check out www.abcink.com. You can get a compatible drum/toner combo for $100 with free shipping or just the drum for $72.

Hmmm, have a Brother HL-1440 as well.
Have never added toner or anything to it, just memory. It has been going strong since bought it five months. Print out about 20 pages daily with it.
What it does now is the Data and Alarm lights blink on the front.
Is it trying to tell me in its' own special way that the toner is low? There is nothing in the printer windows to tell me and it seems that Brother would have put a light on the front to designate when the toner was low or either some type of built-in diagnostics software to show what is wrong. Maybe it's me but that would have been the logical thing to do..

Also, recently the printer has started printing out extra blank pages when printing with Endicia (a software to print out postage). For the longest time it printed out like it should. Have made no changes to the printer settings or updated the software to justify this occuring.

Any ideas what the problems are?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.