well my problem is that my mic doesn't work...i plug in my headset...into the right place...i can hear stuff but the mic doesn not detect my voice..i am 100% sure i plugged it in right and i tried updating my drivers two...i tried using a different headset....can someone help me fix this problem?

i am using an IBM pc

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Check in your volume settings whether you have the microphone recording volume muted. If so, try unmuting it.

tried that...checked the volume settings and all...nothing was muted and it still didn't detect anything..even on full volume

What is your sound card? Are the input/output jacks colour coded? Which jack is the microphone plugged into? What program are you using the microphone with? Did you adjust the recording microphone volume or the playback microphone volume (which should be muted unless you want to hear the sound of your own voice)?

yeah the jacks are colour coded...theres a pink/red one for the mic...a blue one for god knows what and a green one for the speakers..i plugged the mic into the pink/red one with the symbol of a mic under it....and yeah playback volume is on mute..recording volume is on full volume....i use it with msn messenger but no other program detects sound from the mic either...i tried....as for the sound card...well actually i dont know what sound card i'm usuing..is there a way to check?...do you think it's the sound card though? cuz the speakers are working file...so weird.. :mad:

Ah, there's something. What kind of headset is it? Is it just a microphone, or does it also come with headphones?

If it's a combo (with two leads), then you might find that the microphone will not work if the headphones are not plugged in. Not to worry though - if you have a secondary output jack on your sound card (for multiple speaker setups) you can just plug the headphones into there and still use your speakers.

i ususally plug them both in when i try to use the mic....which it's why it's so weird because i can hear things with the headphones but with the same headset it doesnt detect my voice...as for the jacks...i tried that...i tried pluggin it in to different holes when it didn't work in the right one....still doesn't work

maybe it is the sound card o.O...i should probably get a new one

maybe it is the sound card o.O...i should probably get a new one

Go to control panel setting sounds and audio settings select the voice tab.

Make sure a audio device is listed there. then click the volume button and make sure

line in volume is not to low or muted If using stero make sure balance is in the middle.

This might not be your problem but it is worth checking if you have not done so already

PS make sure the volume is not muted for line in

sorry I just read the previous posts more carefully and see you have tried this.

its ok :)...my problem seems to be a difficult one

befor u giveup try this
goto audio setting in control panal
click the voice
click the micrpone icon
select micrphon
i hope it work i had the same problem too

it's ok it's fixed now :)

it's ok it's fixed now :)

Would you mind telling us how you fixed it? ;)

i just called the computer repair man..he was fixing something else on my computer and he fixed the mic...dunno how exactly..but i think we was fiddling around with the settings volume and all and it worked

Hey, I had similar problems when trying to use a mic to chat over msn......all I did was go to the volume icon on the bottom right of my screen. If the mic control for volume isnt up go to options, properties. Playback should be clicked on already.....in the field below find mic or microphone and click the box next to it, then ok. Now you should see mic volume control with the rest. You want to make sure that the mute box "has" a check in it. After you do this go back to options and properties. This time instead of playback click on recording, and again in the field below find mic or microphone and check the box next to it. Then hit ok. In the top right the name should then have changed from Volume Control to Recording Control. Under the mic volume controls now, instead of having a "mute" box you should have a "select" box. You want to make sure this box is also checked. Then just hit the [x] in the top right to close it. Doing this fixed my mic problem. Just so you know im still running windows 98 so not sure if this will work for all operating systems, but I dont see why it wouldnt. Anyways good luck.

thanks for telling me :)...i'll be sure to keep it in mind if i have this problem again

Hey, I had a similar problem with my mic. I don't know exactly how I fixed it, but I got it to work. However, now my computer records whatever sounds are being played. IE: if I have music playing it will record that too. Even if I unplug my mic, it still records whatever is playing. Any ideas would be great :mrgreen:

well...i googled mic problems and i found this site....i read all the solutioins and tried myself...but nothing seemed to work!!??....any1 plz help???

well...i googled mic problems and i found this site....i read all the solutioins and tried myself...but nothing seemed to work!!??....any1 plz help???

its simple. but we never ever imagine tat tis cud hv created t prob... double click on t sound icon at t taskbar.. click advanced button under t front speaker control.. unselect magic 5.1 enable.....

nw does ur mic work.. it should.. we wud hv clicked on t magic 5.1 sumtime back and forgot it... unselecting wil make t mic work...

-This may be the problem.
Click audio controls on the taskbar, go to advanced under Master Volume. Make sure that center speaker and subwoofer isn't connected to microphone. Just uncheck both, unless that option is required.. worked for me.

My mic just stopped working when i was in middle of a voice call on yahoo messanger.(won't work even with sound recorder)
I tried something which worked for me
1-went to volume control
2-under mic tab there is a "advanced" button
3-After clicking it you see two options "mic2 select" and "mic boost"
4-i unchecked "mic 2 select" and mic started working.

I have the exact same problem, it is finally working now!
1. Go to Control Panel -> Sound Effect Manager (I think this comes with my sound card, not sure if you have this option)
2. Select Speaker Configuration, and select "2 channel mode for stereo speaker output".
3. Select Sound and Audio Devices -> Voice tab
4. Click on Volume under Voice recording session
5. Check Select checkbox on Line In, the Microphone checkbox will uncheck itself
6. Click on Test hardware. There you go, it works.
The weird thing is that now if you check the volume again, the Select checkbox is checked on the microphone, not line in. But it works! Btw, I am using WinXP.

I have the exact same problem, it is finally working now!
1. Go to Control Panel -> Sound Effect Manager (I think this comes with my sound card, not sure if you have this option)
2. Select Speaker Configuration, and select "2 channel mode for stereo speaker output".
3. Select Sound and Audio Devices -> Voice tab
4. Click on Volume under Voice recording session
5. Check Select checkbox on Line In, the Microphone checkbox will uncheck itself
6. Click on Test hardware. There you go, it works.
The weird thing is that now if you check the volume again, the Select checkbox is checked on the microphone, not line in. But it works! Btw, I am using WinXP.

So close.... I can't actually check the box described in step 5, the computer will not allow me to. I have had mic and recording capability before.

My mic just stopped working when i was in middle of a voice call on yahoo messanger.(won't work even with sound recorder)
I tried something which worked for me
1-went to volume control
2-under mic tab there is a "advanced" button
3-After clicking it you see two options "mic2 select" and "mic boost"
4-i unchecked "mic 2 select" and mic started working.

This seems to have solved the problem. Thanks.

hey guys, I got an mic problem too, but it's a bit different as the one u guys got. When I connect my mic to my computer and boot the computer, it works fine... but after a while using it, it suddenly crashes and sends out ear hurting noices. Sometimes I can fix it in somekind of software program called Audiomax, but then the problem will repeat several minutes later on. Sometimes it isn't fixeable and I'll just have to reboot my PC to get it recording again. Anyone has an solution? Otherwise I'll just have to buy an new soundcard I guess...

I have tried every solution here, yet my microphone still refuses to work. I have Realtek AC'97 v4.00 audio drivers. Using on-board sound and microphone.

I am having the same problem with my mic. When I use it in windowlive messenger it will quit in mid conversation. I have to disconnect and the reconnect to make it work. I have tested it in the audio wizard in sound max. I have tested in the audio wizard in the messenger and everything is working. I have checked to see if there is a conflict with the web cam and it is showing no conflicts. All my drivers are up to date. I have been using a headset with mic and a stand alone mic and it is the same thing. I don't know what is going on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.