hi
i have an ASUS F8vr note book and when i plug in my friends keyboard through the usb connector via the ps/2 to usb converter it works.
but when i connect mine the same way the keyboard light flashes up(the num lock, scrol lock and the cap lock) and then goes off but the keyboard doesnt work. i check in the device manager and there is no new hardware found and i also scan for new hardware but found none. i also read some where that i need to enable something in the bios but this notebook's bios does not have tht function. the problem is not with the usb port nor with the ps/2 to usb converter. i am running on vista home premium sp 2. the keyboard i am using is microsoft wierd desktop 500.

and now my computer does not recognize any usb i plug into it.
but when i plug a usb mouse the lase ones the light under the mouse light up and my ipod charges but itunes does not recognize any ipod

ok i hav solved the problem tht my laptop is not detecting the usb
but i still cant solve the fact tht it cant detect the keyboard so
please help:'(

I would try if it does work in bios. If it does, then the problem is with the OS - drivers.

there is no option in bios for anything regarding usb or keyboard.
and i hav pluged in two different keyboards one logitech and the other microsoft(as stated above) but they both dont work. more help would be appreciated.

there is no option in bios for anything regarding usb or keyboard.
and i hav pluged in two different keyboards one logitech and the other microsoft(as stated above) but they both dont work. more help would be appreciated.

I was more in the way, that if pressing keys in the bios will do something.
Like:
Plugin the external keyboard. Start the computer and run to bios. Is the bios working with the external keyboard? Like if you press ESC on the external keyboard does it do anything/ show response?

I was more in the way, that if pressing keys in the bios will do something.
Like:
Plugin the external keyboard. Start the computer and run to bios. Is the bios working with the external keyboard? Like if you press ESC on the external keyboard does it do anything/ show response?

No, the keyboard also doesn't respond in the bios. Any ideas at all on how to get it to work will be appreciated. And the keyboard is not dead i am sure because i am using it right now on my desktop.

No, the keyboard also doesn't respond in the bios. Any ideas at all on how to get it to work will be appreciated. And the keyboard is not dead i am sure because i am using it right now on my desktop.

I got an idea what could go wrong. The device is a HID, and therefore it needs some drivers for USB.
I would boot to an LiveCD (any kind) and see if the keyboard will work.

If it works...
The issue could be with the drivers for the keyboard. You could try to UNinstall the drivers for the ex. keyboard and then install them again. If you have not installed any, then got to vendor page and donwload the new one.

before i had this keyboard i never connect any keyboard to the laptop. hmmm...i think i will give up on yhis proble. anyways thank you for all the help really appreciate it.

If can or you have another keyboard you can try to use it in your laptop. I think that it will work fine. Try it and let me know, you'll get it work properly.

i hav a logitech but tht doesnt work as well

I have a USB keyboard plugged up because the internal keyboard stopped functioning, however upon turning on my computer there is no response from the usb to the keyboard! I cannot get the keyboard to respond to any commands even a basic caps lock light! Please help!

i'm having an hcl laptop whose keyboard is not working and we have connected an external keyboard to it . it worked for some days but it is not working now. when i press the keys the writing part is not seen

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.