Recently, I bought a new battery and power cable for my laptop. Both worked fine. Also at this time I installed the synaptics program after not having had it installed for a few months after a reformat. Well a few days later, my touch pad simply stopped working after my computer was plugged into power. Sometimes it'd interpret finger movements as double clicks or even more. But as soon as I unplug the computer, the touch pad immediately starts working again. A day ago I reformatted my laptop again due to slowness and now the touch pad works no matter what. I plug in the computer to power and it just keeps on working. So I'm wondering. Is it the Synaptics program that makes it stop working? If so, how do I fix it? I like have the additional features of the program. Like scrolling with the edge of the touchpad and turning off double touch to click+hold.

Fn + F7 didn't work for me... but experimented and Fn + F9 did!

Hope this helps!

Fn + F7 didn't work for me... but experimented and Fn + F9 did!

Hope this helps!

I have an Inspiron so all my FN possibilities are on the keyboard. But the problem isn't that it shuts off. It starts glitching really bad. And now I found out that it works fine if I leave an external mouse plugged in. Otherwise it just slowly stops working and then starts thinking I'm always double tapping

cheers for that. spent most of the morning looking for ways to reenable the touchpad, downloaded the drivers from 3 different websites with upgrades and turns out my 2 year old daughter whilst leaning on the keyboard must have turned it off!
IT neeeds people like you

Thank you! I had a similar problem and this solved it! You kick ass. :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot...sharing experience is all..

Most laptops (if not all) come with a function key. You'll find one near the bottom left. The function key is labelled "Fn" and usually stands out from the rest - either the "Fn" is in a different color or the key as a whole. The function key works in conjunction with other keys on the keyboard especially the ones in the top row marked "F1" to "F12". The combination of function key with these keys lets you perform various tasks quickly such as shutting the screen, putting the computer in sleep mode, switching the wireless connection on and off etc. By keeping the function key pressed and then hitting one of the keys ("F1" to "F12"), activates a task. Thus, on my uncle's Lenovo laptop (and I've noticed this on HP and Toshiba systems too), you can activate and deactivate the touchpad by using the function key with the "F8" key. So if the touchpad on your laptop is not working and is unresponsive, it's not broken, you or someone else has accidently deactivated it with the function key.
By pushing the Fn key down at the bottom left of the keyboard, it caused the Function keys to drop down at the top of the screen, so you can pick out the correct Function key for the touchpad. On my computer it turned out to be the F9 key. All I had to do was hold the Fn key down and the F9 key at the same time to turn the Touchpad on. Hope this helps someone else out there!

hey guys, its still not working on brand new gateway 10' machine that I got last week. the thing is left button and tap to click options stopped working, all I have right now is only right click button working, so lame, what can I do about it? I run it on XP SP3 and tried to reinstall driver but still same thing

Maybe something disables it.. try to enable it by pressing the "Fn" key and "F7".

After months of being pointless I find you. Thanks a million.

HI members ..................................................................................................Recently, I bought a new battery and power cable for my laptop. Both worked fine. Also at this time I installed the synaptics program after not having had it installed for a few months after a reformat. Well a few days later, my touch pad simply stopped working after my computer was plugged into power. Sometimes it'd interpret finger movements as double clicks or even more. But as soon as I unplug the computer, the touch pad immediately starts working again. A day ago I reformatted my laptop again due to slowness and now the touch pad works no matter what. I plug in the computer to power and it just keeps on working. So I'm wondering. Is it the Synaptics program that makes it stop working? If so, how do I fix it? I like have the additional features of the program. Like scrolling with the edge of the touchpad and turning off double touch to click+hold.
by regards
anglish7612
more information to click here

Thank you very much, is incredible that such an old post can help me now. Thank you again.

Maybe something disables it.. try to enable it by pressing the "Fn" key and "F7".

Thanks! That fixed the problem for me too.

fn + f7 just brings up brightness key for me. I have a toshiba

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THERE IS A MUCH SIMPLER WAY. most forums say that if your touchpad does not work then reboot or reinstall the driver. But on your laptop there maybe a button right at the top of the keyboard section with the 'internet connection' flashing button and a 'freeze' button. I accidentally presses the 'freeze' button and it 'froze' the touchpad and left-right clicks. This is the layout on PACKARD BELL EASYNOTE laptops, but you can probably find the button somewhere else on other makes.
So juszt press the 'freeze' button and it will unfreeze :)

I did a lot of re-installing the drivers b4 I came across this solution....

I have a Toshiba also, and have had this trouble. Wondering if there is some other easy method that works differently then using a function key, like maybe re-setting a hotkey or something in Vista

wow thank you belama for the fn+f7, that worked for me. I had the same problem on a AAO-D250

This was driving me so bonkers. I ended up formating and reinstalling windows, then when that failed I pulled my laptop to pieces, when that didn't work I put the laptop back together again and took a look at this forum.

:)

And OMG "Fn + F7"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

==============

Thankyou so much for this post. This fixed my problem. Such an easy fix and so obvious when you see the picture on the F7 key, lol. Thanks again.
Steve

I was lying on bed, watching youtube, a fone call came, i muted audio to answer the call. Later realized touchpad wont work. I did everything other users have mentioned above. Nothing worked, Until this morning when i visited this forum. MANY MANY THANKS BELLAMA OR AS MY PRIMARY TEACHER USED TO SAY 'BUNDLE OF THANKS'. ANSAR MIRZA ansar.mirza@ymail.com

Hi, I have a HP laptop and i have tried the short cut but that also does the brightness for me, My computer doesnt have the driver installed and i dont know which one i need, please can someone help me, I used to have the icon on it but then i think i deleted it somehow

Fn + f7 did not work for me because I have a DELL XPS M1210 with windows XP media center edition in Spanish, and the f7 key does not have a funtion. Any other help please!!

would this fn+f7 work for a toshiba laptop as well??

I have Compaq with window vista and when I plug in usb mouse, my touch pad stop working. I try pressing the fn + f7 command at the same time but nothing happen.
Any Ideals ?

I am having the same problem with the same computer and I tried your method but it didn't do anything for me. Any other suggestions?

It's FN and F9 on my Toshiba. I thought I'd buggered it up when I fell asleep on it, and have been using a mouse for the last 10 weeks. Such a simple solution. Thanks everyone

i have a toshiba and my mouse stop working any one nows about

I had to press fn plus F9, but thanks! I wouldnt have gotten that...

So this string began in 2005. Well, in October, 2010 it still applies. Pretty amazing. FN + F7. So simple. Thanks.

It didn't look like this fix worked initially, but it did after a reboot with no other windows open. Thanks!

Thank you for fn+f7

my synaptics touchpad stopped working correctly as did my mouse. I am not able to use the left button on my mouse to double click. I have to right click and select open using the mouse. It has taken me numerous tries to submit this reply. Whenever I click on submit reply with my mouse or touchpad, it takes several tries to get something to make the post.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.