The FTP server worked great! At first we didn't think so, but then, we installed the proper files (English for out situation) and restarted. Good luck!

HI Everybody, I guess like many of you I have been doing everything trying to make my fn buttons work after I installed Windows XP from a different CD. And I have found a solution. But it might be hard to explain, because I am not sure what exactly made it work. But I believe if you do the same it will work for you too.
Of course once I installed new windows I hade to go to SONY support page and download all the drivers. And I downloaded most of them, or the ones that I thought I needed, including BIOS. But the FN did not work.

SO this time I went back to that support page and downloaded 2 more drivers which were Sony Shared Library and Sont Notebook Utilities and Sony Notebook Control Device Driver. I guess that makes it 3, but the last 2 are under the same category. After I downloaded and installed them, I restarted computer, and couldn't believe it, after over 1 year I have it working again.
I have VGN-150P series but I believe if you download all the drivers for your computer, it will work for you too.

I really hope you all find the solution

hey!

OK you seem to know a lot about this stuff, so I have a tough one for you. my Sony Vaio notebook keyboard has been acting crazy lately, first it stopped working, then it went back to ok, but now whenever I try to start windows it sends me straight to the "safe mode screen", I just choose to normally start windows and it does, but then, if I press left shift and 8 I get nothing! but, if I press RIGHT shift and 8 I get what Im supposed to get, which is "(".
What's going on? please don't tell me I have to contact Sony, because Im in LatinAmerica and it can be quite annoying to do it here, I'd like to fix the problem myself, I just hope it's not a hardware problem, cause that would be just mean.

Thanks.

You rock! I accidentally removed my hotkey functionality and your post supplied exactly the information I needed to recover!

Thanks so much!

:)

Ooh, you're all very silly. You silly, silly people.

Just kidding. It just so happens that I have the knowledge you desire. So here we go, kids.

THE NOT-SO-OFFICIAL OVERLY LONG POST ON GETTING YOUR KEYBOARD TO WORK ON A SONY VAIO LAPTOP.

To begin with, on more recent sony laptops (such as the VGN FS line), the service is called 'hkcmd' or something to that effect. So if you are using a sony-made computer, and your hotkeys (like 'Fn' or the 'S1' and 'S2' keys) are working, and you go into the 'Processes' section of the Windows task manager, and you see 'hkserv' or 'hksrv' or 'hkcmd' or any of those in uppercase, it means your hot keys are functioning well and good and fine and everything will be okay, and you can sit back and enjoy a chocolate milkshake at your kitchen table while sifting through your mail or reading the newspaper and everything will be alright.

But there can be problems. Yes indeed. And if you are having problems, read on.

There are two kinds of problems which crop up on Sony Vaio Laptops, one where your computer's hotkeys simply aren't working. Another, which I discovered while visiting a friend's house, is that they have the tendency to make it so occasionally when you type some letters, they come out like numbers, or numbers come out the wrong way, and all that such. Both of these problems are covered in this post.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM #1- I'm using a Sony Computer, and for some reason, my hot keys aren't working, or I don't have the driver for them installed. How do I fix that? (A driver is the software necessary for your computer to be able to 'understand' or 'communicate' with the hardware attached to it.)

LONG, LONG, ANSWER.
If at any point in this answer, you feel that you can 'take it from here' than by all means do so. A lot of this guide is just walking through the process step-by-step and explaining stuff along the way.

You can get the driver for making your hotkeys work by going to
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?PRODTYPE=24&NAVDISP=pc and entering in your model number, so you can access sony driver downloads, user guides, Frequently asked questions, technical specs, product alerts, and other stuff about your laptop.

Most of you people already seem to have cleverly decided to figure out your series and model number before asking for help, so you probably won't need to download the 'detect my model' thing, and you can skip the rest of this paragraph. If you don't know your model number, you can find it out by downloading their program, or, if you still have your 'vaio control center' on your computer (which is, don't worry, a helpful thing), you can just go to that. Now I'm not sure how older versions of this were designed, but in mine, you can just click the 'system information' category, and click the little gear icon with 'system information' next to it. And under 'Product information' and 'Model' will be your series and model. Select that on the esupport.sony.com website using their dropdown menus or such.

Anyway, to get the sony-specific drivers for your computer, or for your hotkeys in general, click the 'Drivers/Software' tab on their page. From there you can get the drivers which came with your computer, drivers which are updates for the ones you already had, or get all the drivers ever for that computer in one 'everything' list page.

Windows can typically use your laptop fine without your manufacturers drivers on it, but it greatly helps to have the actual drivers and hardware management programs which came with the computer, as that usually allows you much greater control and ease-of-use when it comes to using your computer, and much less bugs and errors. So if you erased your computer and reinstalled windows or something, or if you updated to XP from an earlier version (such as with the PCG-FX case listed in this thread) now would be a good opportunity to download all of the drivers. Sony will have a guide on doing that, and plaease do so.

Specifically, if your computer came with something earlier than windows xp, Sony will have a specific page on there for drivers for people who upgraded to windows xp. Sony will have a guide to help you along with this, I don't need to tell you about it, the instructions exist, follow them as if they were the bible, the Qu'ran, and the sacred scrolls of Boshmop the great all put together. In other words, if you updated to, or reinstalled windows, stop reading this post, go to Sony's page for downloading drivers for your computer, and read sony's instructions for 'Windows XP Clean Install' and listen to them.

If you've gotten to this point, it means that:
-You are still using your computer with the Operating System it came with. You did not update to windows, nor did you reformat your computer and reinstall windows via a Windows XP install disk. You're using the computer the way it came.
-Yet for some your hotkeys are NOT working.
If either of these are not true, reread the above half of this post, because you must have missed something.

Anyway, here's how to get the driver for your hotkeys: Now, remember, if you upgraded to windows xp, go to the 'OS migration' page, if not, go to the 'everything' page, and find the ORIGINAL driver that came with the computer for hotkeys, and then the UPDATED version if there is one. The drivers will normally not be specifically called 'Sony Hotkeys' but rather, they will be under a more general, wider-ranging driver, such as 'Sony Shared Library'. If there is a 'Notebook Control Device Driver', than get that instead, because we are assuming that you already have the sony shared library, because we are assuming you did not install windows from scratch or pointlessly delete a bunch of your files. If you are pretty sure that for one of these reasons you do not have the sony shared library, get that first and install that first, and then install any 'Notebook Control' drivers.

After you're done with all of this, restart your computer (if you haven't already) and try your hotkeys out.

Alright??? Are we good? Are we good? We're good? Good!

POSSIBLE PROBLEM #2- I'm using the normal keyboard that's part of my laptop, but whenever I try to type on the right side of my keyboard, (or sometimes) the letter that should come out on the screen (such as 'm') is not there, and instead there's something different! (Like 0 for 'm', or 2 for 'k', or 3 for 'j') I've tried installing new drivers and other stuff, and it's still not working! WHAT'S GOING ON???

ANSWER!
Here's yer problem, buddy. Your computer thinks you have the 'Fn' key (otherwise known as the function key) held down right now, even though you don't! You can tell that this is the problem if the letters/numbers which come out on the screen are the ones which are noted on the lower part of the keys you're pressing. And you'll notice that if you actually hold down the 'Fn' key, your computer's keyboard acts as it normally does.

So why does the computer think the 'Fn' key is being held down, even when it's not? Because you have 'Num Lock' on! When you have the 'Num Lock' key on, your computer perpetually thinks that the Fn key is held down.

Here's how to turn 'Num Lk' off if you want your keyboard acting normal again: hold 'Fn' and hit the 'Num Lk' button. (You have to hold Fn while doing this, because otherwise, the computer would think you were trying to press 'Scr Lk', or scroll lock. I don't know the layout of every keyboard of every computer sony has ever made, so it might be different for you.), after that, everything should work normal again. For some reason, Sony Vaio laptops, on the rare occasion turn their 'num lock' on by themselves. It's easy as it can be to turn it back off, it's just that it can be very confusing for someone who doesn't understand the problem.

Alright! We all good? Thanks. Awesome. I gotta fly.

*Vartotojas jumps into a small electric-blue-colored skycar. He flips the top over his head and onto the front, and presses the big green 'AGOGO!' button in the center of the dashboard, which then results in a large "ding dong!" sound. His ship lifts up for a second, hovers, and then vanishes into the endless intracacies of time and space. Left behind is but a vapor trail of light-gray fog, which soon dissapates.*

Thank you dude for your post. One of my friends has this problem and I have to inform him of this solution. So i don't know if it works, but i'm pretty sure that it will. Just wanted to thank you because of your good job...

Hi,

Do you think this info is still valid? I have a Sony Vaio FCG-FXA63.

It came with XP. Recovery was run and XP was reinstalled. Function key doesn't work to dim screen. ...spent much time trying to fix, to no avail.

Karen

pls i need help.
Most of the keys on my sony vaio are not functioning well unless u hold it down real hard or tap like crazy. At some point when the CAPS key is on letters are in small letters and when its off the reverse.
what could be the problem?
it's a vgn-fe31h

Hi Guys

I have got a Sony Vaio VGN-FE11H bouthg in Italy in 2006. Like many other people i used to have problems with the fn key but now is all sorted.
Now i have another problem with my keyboard... the letters are working fine, what is n t working are all the other symbols. They are all mixed up, im going mad trying to find them !!! can someone help me with that please.

Paolo

Hey I need sound drivers for sony vgn-c15gp laptop can any one help please

I am happy to tell you that this solution is working!!! you need to download Sony® Shared Library for Microsoft® Windows® XP. This file can be found at http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNFS640&upd_id=1846&os_id=7. Warning : you need to change to your laptop model because the one I pasted it here is for my labtop.

Dear Saravanan Babu & Gnair,

I need a help regarding fn key. I have vaio-pcgfx390k and installed XP pro on that. I don't have HKServ.exe app installed (i didn't use sony's disks). Hence i am not able to use the Fn key facility. I searched sony support etc. but of no help. Would it be possible for you email/host the exe/zip from where i can download it. It will be very helpful to me if you can share that app. Please email me the download details to <email snipped>. Or suggest on where i can download/install it from.

with thanks and regards,
raja

Hello!
My computer Sony Vaio Pcg-r505tsk have the broplem whit key Fu.i don't know why?When i use Key fn+F3/F4/F5/F7 can't use. but i use Fn+Scrlk/Pause/break it can.i don't know?why?

My keyboard has several problems. I can't insert simple letters {[ because apparently they are linked with pressing another function. The firm has however not provided any user manual that would solve this problem. There are many 'pink' symbols on my keyboard. I am unable to use any of them. There is a 'pink' function key ALT CAR that I tried to use but it does not work. There is a blue 'Fn' key that works but it has limited usage.
Please help!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FJ170. I did a fresh install of XP home on my laptop.

I have installed the hotkey drivers, the shared library, the utilities and the event manager, but still no hotkeys. I have both hkcmd.exe and VESMgr.exe in my processes but i still can not access the volume, brightness, or the screen switch.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks halidc!

I have a VGN-FJ270 which had XP Home initially. I wiped the drive clean and installed XP Professional and had all sorts of issues which I slowly worked through, the HotKeys (FN keys) not working being one of them and the last one.

I overlooked the Sony Shared Library driver the first go around since it seemed I didn't need it. After installing this driver for my specific model notebook it worked!

HI Everybody, I guess like many of you I have been doing everything trying to make my fn buttons work after I installed Windows XP from a different CD. And I have found a solution. But it might be hard to explain, because I am not sure what exactly made it work. But I believe if you do the same it will work for you too.
Of course once I installed new windows I hade to go to SONY support page and download all the drivers. And I downloaded most of them, or the ones that I thought I needed, including BIOS. But the FN did not work.

SO this time I went back to that support page and downloaded 2 more drivers which were Sony Shared Library and Sont Notebook Utilities and Sony Notebook Control Device Driver. I guess that makes it 3, but the last 2 are under the same category. After I downloaded and installed them, I restarted computer, and couldn't believe it, after over 1 year I have it working again.
I have VGN-150P series but I believe if you download all the drivers for your computer, it will work for you too.

I really hope you all find the solution

The only time I've encountered this problem with my VAIO is when I have NUM LOCK on. In which case a little padlock with a '1' on it is lit. Press 'Num Lk' -- problem goes away.

The problem
I'm using the normal keyboard that's part of my laptop, but whenever I try to type on the right side of my keyboard, (or sometimes) the letter that should come out on the screen (such as 'm') is not there, and instead there's something different! (Like 0 for 'm', or 2 for 'k', or 3 for 'j') I've tried installing new drivers and other stuff, and it's still not working! WHAT'S GOING ON???

Dear Friend / The solution /:)

forget all about the long answer you have from our friends(with all recpict for their opinion). All what you need regarding your problem with typing the numbers instead of the letters (Like 0 for 'm', or 2 for 'k', or 3 for 'j'), just press the key "Pst Sc Sys Rq" it should be next to the Num Lock. If not then press the Fn key and then the "Pst Sc Sys Rq" key again. As for all other explinations, I must say they are right but it is to complicated to understand... My wishes for all of you. aalmula@hotmail.com thanks

It amazes me how many people with sony vaio laptops have come across this issue and sony techs say they can fix this but only if you pay thier fee for remote access. I had this issue on my sony vaio VGN-AR350e after I updated my sony drivers as my sony updated told me to do so. I am running windows vista home premium sp2 when all hell broke loose lol. My machine was fine no issues. I updated all the sony drives that the vaio updated had notified me to do then it happened no function keys worked my eject didnt work my source button stopped and my curser randomly moved while typing to earlier places in text.. After going to sony live chat help which is now limited to 15 minutes or you have to pay $69.99 for further help which it takes 15 minutes for the tech to ask your name and email then tell you time is up. I enede up having to figure this out myself.. Heres the jist of it.The sony vaio updated drivers do not work with updated service packs in my case visat sp 2 but seems to be same on those who go from xp sp1 to sp 2. I would get the sony service event (module stopped) messages constatly.. So what I started to do was eliminate backwards. i uninstalled sp2 on my machine didnt do anything i removed and reinstalled the original event service and shared library drives as some said nothing. I did some more looking and found the culprit to my issues. I found that my updated Sony Utilities driver was the fault that tripped the sony event services message. I un installed it restarted,cleaned my registry reinstalled the original SONY NOTEBOOK UTILITIES driver and one last restart and everything came back..My function keys work, my eject works, my source buttons work and not more curse jumping or error messages.This little pack of controllers doesnt paly well with service packs appearently. I have yet to try to update to service pack 2 in vista since fixing it but will and will post back...Here is the actual link for my particular unit so you can see what it is and what it does.Hope it helps some as sony insisted my registry was trashed and they need money to fix it but its just they have poor driver updates...... http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNAR350E&upd_id=2557&os_id=28

ps vista home premium came installed on this machine so no I didnt upgrade to it but will go to win 7 but maybe not on this unit as even though its a dual core 2 GB with 2GB ram some of sony componenets are not compatible with win 7...sony sucks and I knew better then buy one and never will buy anything sony again they suck thier products sucks and sony corp sucks and hates its customers..

I had the problem where the Fn key wasn't working. Restarting the computer wasn't helping either. Anyways, found the answer here:

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/269481

Not sure why the sony services no longer start at startup anymore (the viao launcher no longer starts automatically either).

hey guys i got aproblem with Fn keys after i used windows 7 with my vgn-fs550.would someone help me.thanks and all

hi I have a sony vaio cw18fx and I have changed windows and reinstaled win7 now I cant reduce the screen contrast with the fn keys what can I do?

Thank you so much for your post vartotojas...i thought my laptop had a virus or someone had spilt a drink on it and so on! Your advice - problem 2 - worked.

i have a vgn model sony vaio
to fix my keyboard i hold down the Fn key and push the number lock key. it works

Member Avatar for Chloebearsays

@ vartotojas, you helped me alot, thank you so much :D

I've just managed to get my hotkeys working (my VAIO model is VGN-FS195VP) and here's how:

- Navigate to the support page for your laptop model on the Sony website
- Click on the "Originally installed" tab
- Download the "Original Utilities Package"
- From this package, install BOTH the "Sony Utilities DLL" and "VAIO Event Service" programs (you'll need to try all the different installers until you find these two. This was Installer 1 and 6 in my package)
- I did also install the "Sony Shared Library for XP" program (Installer 2 in my package). As you can't later remove it from 'Add/Remove programs' in Windows, I'm not sure whether or not you need this as well
- Restart your laptop

Hopefully, this should work (it did for me at least). Good luck!

Please help me for this Fn keys not working.. Laptop series is VPCEB26FG.. and Vaio smart network is also not working fine

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.