Ok, so I just rebooted my computer and there seems to be a problem with the video. My media player plays movies but it 'lags' or the movie will pause for a moment and continue a couple seconds further into the movie(the picture is pretty bad too). I went on my device manager and it shows a yellow question mark by 'other devices,' followed by the same question mark with an exclamation by 'SM Bus Controller' and 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I tried to download the right device but i cant seem to make it work. I have an emachines model T5212, if you guys can help me out i would greatly appreciate it :]

-Jason

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are you refering to Windows Media Player or an online video you are trying to watch, such as Youtube? It sounds like the scenario when you try to watch an online video and the transfer rate cannot keep up with the player speed (it shound show a message "buffering" during the play when it pauses). "If" this is the case you can help out by clicking the pause button = til the red line moves on across the bottom of the player and then click on Play.

Try and defragment your computer it seems it has so many stored applications so it's up to you to defragment the machine and remove unused applications to speed up the device. Give it a try.

Why don't you try to play video using FLV or GOM player first. If it's go well, probably you got codec driver problem.
If it's still happen I believe this is a driver problem.

Youtube works fine, i have defraged my computer and yes im talking about windows media player, thanks though!

Why don't you try to play video using FLV or GOM player first. If it's go well, probably you got codec driver problem.
If it's still happen I believe this is a driver problem.

Ok so I checked other movies and I was surprized to find out that some videos dont even show the picture, it just plays it like if it was a song lol. I clicked 'error details' and it says "A codec is required to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help." So your right about the codec. But then when i clicked web help to direct me to the codec download, it tells me that microsoft has retired 'WMPlugins.com' I guess thats where the codec download was lol. Can i just download another codec and if i can where should i go for that? :o

Thanks again guys -Jason

You may be having the oldest version of window media player, i suggest if so you upgrade or install VLC media player or intervid media player give it a try.

http://i12.tinypic.com/2a7ue83.jpg

http://www.versiondownload.com/vlc-media-player/Downloads/audio-and-video/vlc/1.jpg

The VLC player works fairly well but my computer still proceeds with problems. Im sure if I fix the problem with the yellow question marks on other devices it'll function better, but I probably have a virus or something :/

Thanks anyway guys I really appreciate the help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.