I would like to install a wireless router for my girl friend who has a laptop, and wishes to use it in locations that I would otherwise have to intall new phone jacks.

The system I'm thinking about is:

Linksy WRT54G $39.99 after rebate

Linksy USB 100B $25.64

Both items and prices are at Amazon.

I had someone tell me that this system will not work with a dialup connection, is this true?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I just learned what I needed to know about routers, I have a dial up analogue connection, and the router isn't equiped for that type of connection. Oh well, looks like I'll be crawling around under my girlfriends house installing new phone lines tomorrow.

What we will DO for LOVE!!! :lol: Normally I'd say "Have Fun!", but in this case, I just hope it goes well for you instead! :)

I just learned what I needed to know about routers, I have a dial up analogue connection, and the router isn't equiped for that type of connection. Oh well, looks like I'll be crawling around under my girlfriends house installing new phone lines tomorrow.

Is your girlfriend unable to get broadband? There are many places that you can get DSL for as cheap as $14/month. This would give her a better connection, not tie up the phone line, and allow her to use a wireless router for her connection.

Hey guys, thanks for the response. Ain't it amazing what us guys will do for lust...er...love.

Chris...unfortunately the rural area I'm living in only has three options for phone hookups, your common snailophone dial up, a very exspensive satellite system, and two tin cans and monofilament nylon fishing line...notice how technologically addvanced we are here in the hills. :lol:

If I had a computer that was only good for its modem and internet access I could make this work I'm told, and I'm told that I would need a card in addition. If you have any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Wierd. I never heard of such a thing. Good find.

Wierd. I never heard of such a thing. Good find.

you chould use a standard wireless router and disable DHCP and chage the gateway adress to somthing other than 192.168.0.1 and blug power and plug it to your desktop connect with the modem now reffered as the host and go to the router control panel by typing the routers ip adrees and username and password than chage the setting and bam it all workin

i decided to post this beacuse i am 13 and just saw how sad some of the adult at this website are

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.