Hi there I have recently bought a usb network adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/280891780614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2366wt_1170) . It works fine in linux but in windows 7 I can't connect the laptop to the internet, for some reasons it keeps connecting to, it says, an unknown network and the connection is limited, it won't go on the internet in other words. I have installed the drivers.
If I use a normal network cable and look at the usual Network and sharing centre in win 7, under connection it says Local area connection and under access type it says Internet. If I use the adapter instead under local area it says Local area connection 2 and my active network is an Unidentified network
I have attached 2 screenshots, cable.jpg when it is connected to the cable http://antobbo.webspace.virginmedia.com/various_tests/cable.jpg and adapter.jpg when it is connected to the adapter http://antobbo.webspace.virginmedia.com/various_tests/adapter.jpg.
Now does anybody know how to fix this and get the adapter to work with Windows 7?
One possible hint might come from the network diagnostic. While attempting to troubleshoot it came up with the followin message:
"Problem found: Local Area connection 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration".
So I connected the cable got the ip address and all the relevant details and copied them over to the IPV4 after disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it to the usb adapter, only to get this error message:
"The ip address you ahve entered for this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter on this computer,if the same ip is assigned to both adapters and they both become active only one of them will use this address. This might result in incorrect system configuration,do you want to fix the problem by entering another IP for this adapter in the list of ip addresses in the advanced dialogue box?"

any advice much appreciated, thanks a lot

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

while in network sharing center did you click to create a new connection or network and choose internet connection ,and tell it auto find the ip,I think something like that anyway
I know you likely already done that ,
try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the dongle

You shouldn't have to apply a static IP configuration. Set your adapters to DHCP and allow them to obtain addresses automatically.

If you are still having an issue with the adapter, I would uninstall it from Device manager and let windows rescan and reinstall. If you have the correct driver that should fix the issue.

After installing Network adaptor you have to go to settings in internet connection properties and select auto select IP to yes. You do not need to enter any IP it will auto detect the IP.

hi guys thanks for that, I usually have a static ip address all the time...not quite sure why, I think it has something to do with getting faster connection to peer to peer network or something, not even sure. I have now set my ipv4 to obtain the ip automatically and for now it seems to work. I will post back in here if the connection drops again later tonite.

good luck ,happy computing

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.